Konica 40/1.8 on a NEX 6

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 23, 2015.

1. kevistopheles

kevistopheles TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    19770448389_6cccee6a46_b.jpg
    kiiiity
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

It doesn't matter if it is on a NEX or a Fuji the diminutive Konica 40 has always been a terrific lens for me. It gets knocked for not being sharp wide open (and it isn't) but stop it down to 2.8 and it really starts to sharpen up nicely. I just think of it as a 40/2.8 and don't even bother to shoot with it wide open. The best part is the Konica 40 is NOT an expensive lens. At one time I had the Pen-F 38/1.8 and Pen-F 40/1.4 which are roughly two and four times the price respectively. To be fair the 38/1.8 IS pretty sharp wide open and close focuses a bit better but IMHO the Konica produces better images than the Pen-F 38 and the 40. FWIW I no loner have the Pen-F lenses but i still have the Konica.

• Like Like x 4
  2. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    • Like Like x 4
  3. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    The Hexanon 40 makes an absolutely terrific walk around lens for the NEX. it's small, the adapter is short (although certainly not as short and the Pen-F, M or M39 adapters) and IMHO it's incredibly easy to focus. I get a very high percentage of keepers with this lens. Even when I shot my Fuji (which was a lot more difficult to nail focus on) it worked really well.

4. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I just de clicked my copy. Wanted to try and put an extra stop between the 1.8-2.8. Didn't pan out so just took out the ball. Now it's a smooth aperture ring. A little loose but I can get about a 2.0-2.5 out of it now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I always wondered why Konica didn't make it a 40/2.8 rather than a 1.8 because it's soft and glowy at 1.8 but really sharpens up nicely by 2.8

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1