1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Konica 40/1.8 on a NEX 6

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 23, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    19770448389_6cccee6a46_b.
    kiiiity
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

It doesn't matter if it is on a NEX or a Fuji the diminutive Konica 40 has always been a terrific lens for me. It gets knocked for not being sharp wide open (and it isn't) but stop it down to 2.8 and it really starts to sharpen up nicely. I just think of it as a 40/2.8 and don't even bother to shoot with it wide open. The best part is the Konica 40 is NOT an expensive lens. At one time I had the Pen-F 38/1.8 and Pen-F 40/1.4 which are roughly two and four times the price respectively. To be fair the 38/1.8 IS pretty sharp wide open and close focuses a bit better but IMHO the Konica produces better images than the Pen-F 38 and the 40. FWIW I no loner have the Pen-F lenses but i still have the Konica.

• Like Like x 4
  2. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    • Like Like x 4
  3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The Hexanon 40 makes an absolutely terrific walk around lens for the NEX. it's small, the adapter is short (although certainly not as short and the Pen-F, M or M39 adapters) and IMHO it's incredibly easy to focus. I get a very high percentage of keepers with this lens. Even when I shot my Fuji (which was a lot more difficult to nail focus on) it worked really well.

4. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I just de clicked my copy. Wanted to try and put an extra stop between the 1.8-2.8. Didn't pan out so just took out the ball. Now it's a smooth aperture ring. A little loose but I can get about a 2.0-2.5 out of it now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I always wondered why Konica didn't make it a 40/2.8 rather than a 1.8 because it's soft and glowy at 1.8 but really sharpens up nicely by 2.8

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1