1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kodak Ektra Rangefinder Ektar Lenses on Sony A7R Body

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by biogon44, Aug 14, 2014.

1. biogon44

biogon44 New to TalkEmount

Aug 14, 2014
    I want fellow members to know that I have been successful in resurrecting the use of Kodak Ektra Ektar lenses (full frame and without any magnification factor) on my Sony A7R body. Using an adapter especially made for me by a small British firm I have been able to fit my Ektar 35mm f3.3, Ektar 50mm f1.9, Ektar 90mm f3.5, and Ektar 135mm f3.8 lenses on my camera body without any difficulty whatsoever. It has really been enjoyable to see the results obtained with these lenses, proud premium products made by Eastman Kodak more than 70 years ago. They were the first lenses to be coated internally, when almost all other lenses were uncoated. These lenses were a part of an American-made rangefinder system introduced by Kodak in early 1941 to compete directly with Leica and Contax rangefinder cameras. The price of this equipment rivalled or exceeded the cost of popular American cars of the era, leading to its diminished appeal for the American public. It had a complicated lens mount and it possessed a somewhat unreliable camera body shutter; this latter feature certainly did not help matters. The Kodak Ektra was phased out by the end of the 1940s. With my adapter these lenses have ceased to be mere curiosities chiefly languishing as paperweights on a shelf and resumed their service as fully usable 'Rolls-Royce' quality products of a bygone age.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well? Let's see some pictures of these beauties! :popcorm2:

3. biogon44

Aug 14, 2014
    How do I post pictures on this Forum? I am a bit of a Luddite!

4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Upload to either photobucket or Flikr and post a link to it here.

• Like Like x 2
  5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  7. biogon44

Aug 14, 2014
    195.JPG

Here are the pictures of my Sony a7R with my 50mm and 35mm Kodak Etra Ektar lenses attached with my custom lens adapters.

• Like Like x 3
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, thanks. But those photos are too small for these aging eyes. Bigger please!

9. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Will be keen to see the results of these 70 year old beauties :D