1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Kiron MD 80-200/4.5 Macro with zoom lock

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Amamba, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I am not sure how I feel about this lens, yet. It's about 60g lighter than Minolta MD 70-210/4 Macro. It has a zoom lock and a recessed front end, and it's shorter, so it seems that it would be easier to use handheld. The IQ is not bad but I don't know if it's on par with Minolta. The ultimate test will come when I take both to the zoo on a sunny day. For now, just a few teasers from a walk through the local nature preserve. Some of the images were taken wide open and some between 5.6 and 8, but I am not sure which.

DSC04824.

DSC04815.

DSC04841.

DSC04840.

DSC04822.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, looks like a winner to me!!!
    Sharp enough, beautiful colours and nice bokeh - plus its lighter & smaller than the MD 70-210 so that's always a good thing

;)

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that zoom lock is extremely useful feature. How is handling? IQ is certainly good.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I've had one of those back in the days of my Nikon D200. I remember that it showed fairly pronounced purple fringing and needed stopping down to f/8 to get rid of most of it. I sold it and continued to use the Nikkor 80-200/4 at that time.

5. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Zoom lock may prove useful if you want to stick to one focal length, but I can't see myself using it often. Handling is OK, it is both lighter (not by much, alas) and shorter than Minolta. The zoom and especially the focusing are extremely light, it's not as well dampened as most other lenses. Felt weird at first but I came to appreciate it. There's indeed some purple fringing wide open, but LR easily takes care of that. I still think that Minolta is sharper, but I would need to use both in same conditions to verify.

6. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    So I grabbed the lens on my way to pick up the kids after camp and did a quick walk through the forest. I scared off two large deer before I could take a shot, and lost sight of a baby raccoon while trying to get a better angle; I must have donated a pint of blood to the moskitos. But I did find a few flowers ;)

DSC04936.jpg by Ama-TR, on Flickr

DSC04951.jpg by Ama-TR, on Flickr

Here's what I'm finding about this lens:

- it's only 10% lighter than Minolta MD 70-210/4. And shorter by about an inch or so. O

- it's faster to focus - the focusing ring moves very freely and it travels shorter distance. However Minolta can be focused more precisely in fine increments.

- it has a very smooth bokeh; Minolta has more swirly bokeh.

- I think it's softer than Minolta.

So the next step is to switch back to Minolta & see which lens ultimately produces better results; my gut feeling is that Minolta has an edge in the overall IQ and sharpness, but Kiron would make a fine portrait / travel lens.

By the way, all photos are of course edited - for all legacy glass so far, I have to boost clarity, contrast, and vibrancy straight out of camera. The photos shot with native E-mount lenses require somewhat less adjustment. But it would be impossible to get the good results if the detail wasn't already in the file. And of course it only takes a couple minutes in LR.

7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    So just for comparison, I took the Minolta MD 70-210/4 to the same spot yesterday, and took photo of same daisies.

These were taken with Minolta - not Kiron:

DSC05008 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

DSC05003 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

So, how do you think they compare ?