Kind of urgent battery question

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WT21, Aug 15, 2016.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Heading to vacation this coming weekend, and I'm contemplating buying batteries for my a7 and a6000.

I bought them both used, and have 4 used batteries. I swear if I set them down for 3 days and don't use them, they lose like 10-20% battery life. In one very mild walk-around shooting session (I shut off my camera between shots) I'll go from like 80-50% battery.

Is this what others typically experience? If this is standard Sony battery life, then so be it. But if I am wondering if I should buy new ones -- however at $55+ per pop new, I don't want to spend the money unless I truly think there will be an improvement!

2. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    The batteries I have for my A7R2 after a charge of 100% keep well. Even after a week or so (unused), they're still something like 99%.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think "used" is the operative word in your post. It sounds like they still have some life left in them. But they're no longer in prime condition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Do y'all get genuine batts (at $50-80 a pop) or do you find the generics works well?

5. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    All of my batteries are used ones, at least for my Sony cameras.
    I'd suggest you really drain yours, ie <10% left, and let them charge up over night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I have a mix of batteries for my A7R2 and A6000, some are genuine Sony batteries and the others are after market brand, I've no problems at all with any of the batteries, I got them all from new. They hold their charge fine.
    As Alwayson Auto says, drain them right down and recharge, maybe do that 2 or 3 times and see if that improves things.

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I believe my one non-Sony battery does not hold a charge as well as my 3 Sony batteries, but I unfortunately have no hard data to back that up. The non-Sony battery is used with the 5n that my wife uses, and my gut feeling is that it always drains faster than the Sony battery she alternates with.

I also have not noticed any discharge from my batteries. I can go a month or more without using the camera, and the battery in the camera as well as the spare battery have not dropped their charge.

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I have 2 genuine and 3 third party and at least one of the third party batteries doesn't last as long as the others...

9. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I ended up ordering a dual set of Wasabi's with the charger.

10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Only have the original and 5 aftermarket.
    2 are Watson brand from B&H and they work like the Sony.
    1 Vivitar that worked well for a year, until I placed it into an ebay sourced wall charger. Something went wrong with either the contacts or internal battery protection circuit.
    The battery would register dead/open circuit. I managed to reset the circuit and have it working.
    It won't charge to 100% in the camera or its own Vivitar charger anymore. (Unless I monkey with the contacts)
    2 Neewer that will charge in the Vivitar wall charger to 100%, but will not charge more than 80% in-camera. These will lose some charge if left sitting for weeks. Also fewer shots than the other batteries. So, I don't recommend this brand, as there are compatibility issues.
    The other advice is to be wary of no-name aftermarket wall chargers. They could damage costly batteries with over-charging.

11. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I had 2 original and 2 Sterlingtek batteries (I just lost 1 of each it seems...) with a Sterligtek wall charger.

All are at least 3 years old.

They all hold charge well while at rest, hovering near 100% for at least a week after charge. I'd say that OEM batteries last for a larger number of shots, but it's not a huge difference, definitely not enough for me to justify the price of OEM.

I've been buying Sterlingtek batteries for the past 9 years, starting with my first Canon DSLR, and I had good experience with them. I must've bought 6-7 batteries total over the years, and only one gave me any trouble (had a slight case expansion after a couple years of use and had to be thrown out).

I also heard good things about Wasabi.

12. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

This was standard recommended practice for old lithium ion batteries (10 years ago), but for modern ones, it's precisely the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I would tend to agree with you Mike, but he said he bought them used so he doesn't know their history. I suggested discharging them and fully charging to allow a baseline for the batteries to be set. I believe even most newer ones suggest a near complete discharge at least once a year followed by a full charging. I could be wrong.

14. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Gotcha. I see what you're saying. Yes, that's true.