1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Killing Them in Soft Bokeh

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jaf-Photo, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013

I don't know if there are any bokeh-enthusiasts on this forum? (<- a rhetorical question)

The other evening I watched "Killing Them Softly" which is the latest collaboration between director/writer Andrew Dominik and actor Brad Pitt. The previous one was of course "The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" (which is possibly one of the best, and thereby most underestimated, movies of the last decade).

Anyway, as I was watching the openening scenes of the movie, I straight away noticed the familiar look of vintage bokeh. As I did some research, it turns out that the cinematography of the film was deliberately developed to get a creamy, vintage look:
    The ASC -- American Cinematographer: Dead Man’s Hand

Cinematography aside, it's also a great movie, with an off-beat and indie feel to it but with some studio clout and a-list actors. Highly recommended to cineasts and bokeh buffs alike. But not a family movie as such.

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've been paying more attention to the camera work in movies since I got back into prime lenses last year. I like it when they give the cinematographer a long leash & inject the picture with a strong visual style.

When I hear someone describe a lens as having "cinematic" qualities, I want it!! :biggrin: