1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Keeping track

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jcdoss, Jul 29, 2013.

1. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I just picked up a NEX-6, and my adapter just showed up today (Fotodiox with aperture control), so I'm all geared up and gung-ho ready to go. Then it occurs to me that I don't know how to record which lens was used for each photo, since this info isn't getting recorded in the EXIF file. Do you have any suggestions? Is there an annotation function in the NEX6 hidden somewhere that I can't find?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No. The only thing you can do is note it on your phone or a notebook.

3. Salvatore Coraccio III

Salvatore Coraccio III New to TalkEmount

Jul 29, 2013
    One solution is to take a picture of the next lens just before you change lenses. This way, when you see the lens picture, you know the ones that came after it were with that lens....

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oooooh! You're a clever one, you are. ;)

Why is it that the simplest solutions always seem to escape me?

And hey, welcome Salvatore! :friends:

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    +1. Brilliant idea!

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum Salvatore. Your solution works great if all you want to know is which lens you used.

jc- this is how I do it because I want to know more than just which lens I used. YMMV ;)

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Re-read the older thread. I so rarely shoot with the legacy glass that I can usually remember what I did for the day, and can put it into notes for the files when importing.

But I was wondering if it would easier to just save a note with the lens/aperture settings each time you switched. As long as the phone and camera's clocks are close enough to be "in sync", you can just compare the timestamps on the images to the timestamps on the notes.

I don't own a smart phone, so I don't know if that's possible.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Assuming you can save notes with timestamps that would certainly work. While clunky, with my method that data is there in your photo browser along with the pics. But, you gotta do what works best for you. ;)

9. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    If you only shoot at one aperture, then a pic of the lens is perfect. It's when you're changing the aperture that it becomes clunky.

Oh... Same idea - Use a phone camera to take a pic of the lens on the camera with the current aperture setting. Now use the timestamp idea to figure out which pic was at which aperture.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Ah yes the days of film....when we had to write down everything from aperture, shutter speed, etcetera.....:cool:

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Some of us weren't bright enough to write all that stuff down. And if we had we'd have lost it by now anyway. ;)

12. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Well, this is an excellent exercise for your memory ;) I tend to remember lens, focal length and aperture for a couple of days after a shooting session. So, if I import the pictures straight away, you can incorporate the settings in the file name. Longer after the fact, I can usually tell the lenses apart and guestimate aperture and zoom (if any). It's all about knowing how your gear works. That is the most important part of photography.

Of course, I started photography before the digital age, so you had to remember these things. In those days, before mobiles, everyone remembered lots of phone numbers as well ;)

13. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I still that sometimes. :)

Tony

14. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I've found a solution, and I figured I'd share. My answer is to switch folders whenever I switch lenses, but it's a little more complicated than that.

After formatting the card, the camera creates three root folders: DCIM, MP_ROOT, and PRIVATE (!).

For each lens, two folders need to be created, one in the DCIM directory, and one in the MP_ROOT directory.

Each folder must follow the format of XXXMSCDF for the DCIM directory, and XXXANV01 for the MP_ROOT directory. XXX must match, and must be a three digit number where the first X is 1 or greater.

So, for my 135mm manual lens, I created folders 135MSCDF and 135ANV01. When I mount that lens, I just switch shooting folders to 135MSCDF.

If you create folders that start with 0, the camera won't read them. So, for my 28mm lens, I had to use 128, but I might switch codes later on. If you have more than one 28mm lens, you might use 928 and 828, but then you have to remember which is which.

This seems to work OK, but requires some foresight on the front end. The good news is that odds are low that I'll forget to swap folders and keeping things straight on the backside shouldn't be hard at all... even for me. The bad news is that aperture will remain a complete mystery. Maybe someday, we'll get to edit filenames or something in-camera, and we could keep track that way. One can dream

Thanks for your equally excellent solutions! If this breaks down, I'll come back to this thread and try these out!

Cheers!