• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument New Mexico

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
The Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument is on the Pajarito Plateau in north-central New Mexico, includes a national recreation trail and ranges from 5,570 feet to 6,760 feet above sea level. The cone-shaped tent rock formations are the products of volcanic eruptions that occurred 6 to 7 million years ago and left pumice, ash, and tuff deposits over 1,000 feet thick. Tremendous explosions from the Jemez volcanic field spewed pyroclasts (rock fragments), while searing hot gases blasted down slopes in an incandescent avalanche called a “pyroclastic flow.” Precariously perched on many of the tapering hoodoos are boulder caps that protect the softer pumice and tuff below. Some tents have lost their hard, resistant caprocks, and are disintegrating. While fairly uniform in shape, the tent rock formations vary in height from a few feet up to 90 feet.

I have been to many of the Southwestern national parks and monuments and this is among the best encountered. Geologically speaking, it is amazing. If ever in the Sante Fe/Albuquerque NM, stop by. It is well worth the trip.

Picture comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking. Sony NEX-6/Sony 18-135mm lens.

Tenta1.jpg
NEX-6    E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS    18mm    f/11.0    1/125s    ISO 100
Tentc1.jpg
NEX-6    E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS    18mm    f/13.0    1/125s    ISO 100
Tentd1.jpg
NEX-6    E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS    18mm    f/9.0    1/320s    ISO 100
Tente1.jpg
NEX-6    E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS    18mm    f/10.0    1/125s    ISO 100

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
"You show that the Nex 6 can still to excellent work. "
Contrary to popular belief, cameras do not automatically stop working at midnight of the day a new model is introduced:rofl:

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks for the kind comments. It is a honor for me to be on the Featured Threads & Images. Yeah...the "old" NEX-6 can still take on the big boys. Not many whistles and bells but enough to give one pleanty of lattitude for adjustments. It perfectly meets my photo needs. There is still plenty of these on the market in excellent condition around the $200.00 mark. You could get a NEX-6 with decent glass and "upgrade" the body later if desired.

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Those formations are so unusual and interesting, great shots !

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
Nice coverage... I lived in New Mexico for years and traveled extensively throughout the state but, never visited this area... My loss!

Latest threads

Top Bottom