1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just when you were getting bored with manual focusing...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by unlo, Feb 11, 2016.

1. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Now Auto Focus that Manual only lens... I'm confused.

Free shipping if you pre order $349

• Like Like x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Wierd, but kind of cool

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Too bad it works only on the Mk2 models with PDAF, according to the manufacturer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I too think it's too bad they can't update the first gens... Alas they need a reason for you to buy the new stuff. And the a6300 having this feature only makes me want it more

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow this is crazy!
    AF must be pretty slow though, right?

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If it functions similar to the AF adapter for Contax G lenses, and it appears to, it ought to focus fairly quickly with these lightweight rangefinder lenses. But yes, as firemist mentioned, only with the Mk II A7s.

• Like Like x 1
  7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    check it out HERE also reduces MFD HERE

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Good idea but get it working reliably and accurately. Until then, I'd rather manually focus lenses than having a buggy adapter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    The videos look good, but I'm sure they edited out the parts where the aperture goes wonky or the adapter freezes or when you have to periodically turn the camera on/off to work! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    This is not a new application. It was used before with slrs. He is the same guy who designed the contax g af adapters. I have used them since he released it as a demo 250 units. My only problem with the adapter was Sony changing the lens mount sizes, nothing to do with his production, but Sony. He had this adapter at that time also, but he is releasing now. So I assume it is more baked product then his initial adapter. The difference is instead of the glass he is moving the whole lens. So I assume it will work better with the lighter lenses. He has trial demo units which are already being tested and there were a couple fails, but again I am sure he will improve it before the release. As with everything you can wait for ver II or III, but I enjoy what he did with the Contax g adapter. He was saying he will sell at his Chinese website initially, but it looks like it changed direction as being advertised in the western blogs/news. I ordered after I saw it in SAR and there was already 500+ orders before me. He is not a major producer, so I assume it will take a while to fulfill the initial orders so there will be user reviews before you can get one. You can read his and demo user posts in the Chinese forum:
    Google Translate

• Like Like x 2
  11. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  12. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I received mine yesterday and was testing on a7R 2. My order number was at the end of first batch and it is a little later in the US. It was shipped from CT. It came with firmware ver 2 so that is good as I saw in the Chinese forum that it is just released:
    Google Translate

The af speed was better then I expected. In the low light it is slower and needs faster aperture but day time af was good. I need to test more as I was mostly using lighter glass eg Rokkor-M 28mm 2.8, Summarit 50mm 2.5. I tried just Summarit 90mm 2.5 at night and felt it is slower then the previous batch and then I checked the CV 75mm 2.5 and that is also fast like the 50mm lenses so the weight of the lens is factor. I also had Contarex to M and Canon to M adapters to try other lenses but both adapters did not fit to this adapter. It looks like I should have checked their stock. I am guessing the lighter lenses af better/faster. I tried also afc last night. First focus was slow but then tracking was fast. I need to check afc day time.

Also my camera needed a sensor cleaning and after that I was shooting stopped down skies and noticed an internal ring reflection in the photos which is similar to what I found with the Contax g 45mm with af g adapter that came from the same designer. I still have to process and check it. I have not seen the ring reflection using Hawk's close-up adapter.

The adapter sticks from the bottom so I added Neewer L bracket to level it.

Here is my test shots w/ Summarit 50mm 2.5 from today:

original.

original.

• Like Like x 2
  14. aliengrove

aliengrove TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 20, 2016
    Lancashire
    Jon Bowles
    I am wondering if it will come out in other mounts....I would be very keen on this with a PK fitting.

15. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    It does work with other mounts as log as the have a longer flange distance. There are a number of add-on adapters for
    $70 Techart PRO Leica M – Sony E Autofocus Adapter | TECHART PRO

16. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    If only it would make my FD 300mm F2.8 AF decently... :D

17. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Got one the other day. Worked decent with my Voightlander 40mm and my Contax Zeiss 35mm. Couldn't lock on with the contax Zeiss 135mm. I would of loved to try the FD Canon 55mm 1.2 but the FD/Leica M mount adapter hit the focusing motor on the Techart Adapter so it won't fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Anybody else get one of these? I was thinking of getting one for my Nikon MF glass. I'd love to hear more input on it's reliability. Thanks!