1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just sold my 5n

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Deadbear77, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Just sold my 5n I've been using for about 9 months.

Sad to see it go.

I will be purchasing the 6

Heavily thought about the 7 but my gut says 6.

I do too much low light to use the 7 I believe.

Any thoughts.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Given your propensity for low light shots that was probably the right choice. Look forward to seeing the output from the new camera. :)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I would be happy with either.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    FWIW, I'm VERY happy with my 6. The 7 was tempting, but seemed a step too far for my wallet at the time. The EVF is great, though probably not all that useful for your low-light, indoor kind of shooting.

5. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    IMHO, if low light performance is so important, you should go full frame. The difference between 5N and 6 is not very big.

6. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I had the evf for the 5. I was getting close to around 60,000 shutter clicks by my estimate so I wanted to let it go while i still could. It worked perfectly fine but I would rather let her go.

I figured there wasn't much difference in the two.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I don't think I've taken 10,000 pics in 10 years… maybe just over. lol!

8. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Well when I first Started shooting with the nex and I use the burst mode a lot and I mean a lot during some concerts

9. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    What made you decide the 6 over the 5R.

10. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Just the build quality of it. The only thing I will miss is the articulating efv.

11. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Probably a good choice. The only thing I'd say about the NEX-7 here is that there is so much detail that in low light Raw shooting it allows me to use a much darker exposure than the NEX 5n did and bring up it up in post shadow adjustment and also to use a wider focal length and crop a little more.

Real world, noise seems to be the same. 1-1 peeping looks more in the NEX-7 but the that's a closer look, looking at the pixels larger.

12. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    True, the NEX-7 is noisier by 1 stop on a pixel level. And if you downsample a NEX-7 image to 16MP and compare it to a NEX-6 image, the noise difference is nil. The NEX-7 offers the best of both worlds, I say: more resolution in bright light, good noise control in low light (with resizing).

That said, 24MP for each and every image feels like overkill sometimes. And I do envy the NEX-6's more rugged polycarbonate body.

13. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Perhaps the best thing to do is to look at a lot of sample photos taken with the 6 and 7. Preferably the kind of photos you would be taking. That way you will probably see which one you prefer.

For me, it was the NEX 7 that gave me what I wanted in terms of image properties. But I don't do a lot of indoor or low light photography.

14. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I've never tried the 6, but love the 7. In fact I just sold my A57 and await delivery of the A77 because I really like the resolution. Claire has both the 6 and 7 currently, she may be the best person to ask, but I believe she prefers the 7 too. Either is a great choice..... Though secretly the 5n was the best ever ;)

15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The (now old) 5N does very damn well spec-wise compared with either the 6 or 7...

Way I see it, it comes down to how much you need:
    a) a touch screen
    b) a viewfinder (sure, you can add one to the 5N but not use it at the same time when flash is needed)

Personally I'd be happy with either ;)

16. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    So I just pulled the trigger on a used nex 6 body. Looks to be in excellent shape. I have 14 days to make sure everything is good. Can't wait to get it.

Sent from my iPad using My fingers

17. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Congrats!

18. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Thanks. I'm excited.

19. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Great, I 'm sure you will be happy with it.

20. Mark K

Mark K New to TalkEmount

May 4, 2013
    well, 7 is a much better camera except the sensor focusing stuff on 6/5r. Pickup a 7n if you can wait. Another issue is the lens...according to photozone.de...
    After giving away my5 and flooded my 5n, I just got a 5r for myself and 3n for my wife. My brother uses my 6. Really great stuff and fast in focusing.