Just received my NEX-3N. Problem with auto exposure?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by anonymoususer, Jan 21, 2014.

1. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2014
    Hello talkemount.com. First post here. My prior experience is with Canon, having owned a 20D, S90, G9, S95, S100, G1X. This is my first stint at Sony and so far i'm enjoying it. Throughout the years i became more and more of a lazy as a photographer, eventually selling all my cameras and using my iPhone 5S for all my photographic needs cause its "good enough". The reason i bought the Sony NEX-3N is because i read reviews about how awesome it is on "superior" and "intelligent" auto modes. So far i'm quite pleased, but i noticed when using those auto modes, the auto exposure was very dark. Exposure compensation is normally not a chore to adjust, except on the NEX-3N since it's buried in a menu. Am i doing something wrong? Or is "superior" auto mode not very superior?
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    Welcome aboard!

Exposure compensation is just press the bottom of the dial, and then turn right/left for +/-3EV, but this isn't allowed in iAuto mode I don't think.

I NEVER use iAuto, the closest I get is the 'P' program. I prefer to have some say in what it's doing. If you use P with Auto ISO then it's basically full auto anyway, but you can use the shortcut to change exposure compensation quicker (as I do often as it is quicker than messing around changing shoot mode to manual and setting aperture/shutter yourself).
  3. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2014
    Sorry i should've re-read my OP. I wanted to used the auto modes but the exposure was terrible. So i'd use the P mode to adjust exposure. I didn't realize hitting the downward button on the dial took me straight to exposure. This should work for me.
  4. eos me

eos me New to TalkEmount

Feb 3, 2014
    Thanks for posting this, as I'm a new member too. Just ordered the NEX3N and can't wait to use it. Plan on taking it to SD for a family trip. I usually shoot with 5D2 and 30D. Had a G6 and SD750, so this is my first shot at mu43 with Sony too. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk