Just ran a quick nifties test

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Nov 24, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    I just compared the following lenses on a similar subject :

Porst 55/1.2, Canon FL 55/1.2, Rokkor MC 50/1.5, Rookor MD 50/1.7, Rollei 50/1.8 Planar, Canon FD 50/1.8.

Best overall sharpness/contrast goes this way :

Sharpness : very slight edge to Rokkor MC 1.4 (@F2) against FD 1.8 @1.8. 3rd place, FL55 @ 1.5. Rollei #1.8, MD @1.7, Porst @F2.

Contrast : tie between FD 1.8 and MD 1.7. FL55, MC1.4 on par. Slightly under : Rollei and Porst.

Bokeh : winner Porst (pretty soft all over, so this is the silver lining), FL55, FD1.8, MC1.4 and Rollei tie, last MD 1.7.

Pleasure of use : tie FL55 and MC1.4. Then Porst, and MD 1.7 (tie on the sheer dampening, but build feeling much nicer on Porst). Lasts, Rollei (focus ring ever so slightly stiff) and FD (horrible cheapo plastic all over, though well dampened focusing ring).

Compactness : MD1.7, FD1.8, Rollei1.8 Planar, Porst 1.2 and MC1.4 nearly tie, last, Big Boy FL55.

Value : Canon FD 1.8 absolute best bang for the bug nifty. If you can live with the plasticky feel and zero bragging rights or coolness factor, it's probably one of the best 50's you can get for your NEX. Plus, it's small, light, and cheap.
    Difficult to pull the others apart depending on how much one pays for them. I'm having huge second thoughts about selling the FL, it's one hell of a fine lens. The Rollei is a suprisingly nice lens all around, beautifully balanced between sharpness and bokeh, strong build, good size and looks, I'd just wish a slightly more buttery smooth ring (might be sample related though). I think if I could keep only one I'd chose between the FL55 and MC1.4, but that'd be damn hard to do !!
  2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Here are the shots.
    I've not shot wide open the 1.2 lenses, there's little point doing so, they just glow and glow.
    I've shot all the Rokkors are wider aperture and stopped down one, or half a stop (there is no physical stop between 1.7 and 2.8 on the MD, but it's possible to sort of set the aperture ring between those, and assume we're at F2). NO other PP than cropping and resizing.

Porst Color Reflex Auto MC 55/1.2 @1.8 (aperture ring set slightly before the F2 stop)

Canon FL55/1.2 a@1.5 (aperture ring set slightly after F1.4 stop)

Rokkor 50/1.4 MC @F2

Rokkor 50/1.4 MC wide open. See the huge difference a stop makes from the previous pic.

Rokkor 50/1.7 MD (cheapo latest plastic version with light fungus) wide open

Rokkor 50/1.7 MD @F2 (aperture ring set right after the 1.7 mark)

Rollei 50/1.8 Planar wide open

Canon FD 50/1.8 cheapo plastic version wide open

One thing striking me is how real the small DOF differences are in relief perception of the doll.
    Any comment welcome, enjoy the shootout :)
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    It's interesting the the Porst isn't as sharp as the other lenses. Nothing that couldn't be touched up in post, but as a jpeg shooter I can see where it might concern you. But… as a straight portrait lens that quality might be very desirable, depending on who the subject is. ;)
  4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks for the reviews! I think we need to pool some ebay bids together and send you a Canon 50/1.2 L to compare ;)
  5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Looks like the Planar and the cheapo Canon do the sharp yet creamy thing very nicely. TFS!