Just ordered the 24mm Zeiss lens. Right decision?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Poki, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Hi all,

I just ordered the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 lens for my NEX-5. The reason I bought it right now is that the price for the lens is officially back up at 999 Euro, where I paid 799,- + 8 or so for shipping. I really don't know if it's worth it. Sure, I want to go out and shoot much more this year (as soon as the weather is a bit better), but does it give me better results even with the "outdated" NEX-5? Of course I like the focal length as well as the large aperture for low light shooting, but there are much cheaper (legacy) lenses out there for this purpose.

You know, 800€ is a whole lot of money for me, so it's not like something I can spend every couple of months. I hope you understand what I mean. What do you think?
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    The price makes it a hard decision. If I had the money for it, I would definitely get it, though. Seems like a great lens.
  3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for your input, Amin. Yeah, for this price it should be better than, let's say, the kit zoom or 16mm lens. I especially hope it's sharp enough corner to corner (stopped down) for landscape photography, as the 16mm lens has let me down here some times with washed out details in trees, water, mountains and the like.

I hope I like it, if that makes any sense. ^^ Of couse I'm going to post pics asap.
  4. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    It depends entirely on ones particular needs and perspectives......

The 24mm was recently tested alongside the 18-55 on the 'Fred Mirander' site with excellent corner shot analysis.....The 'amazing' result was the marked similarity of both lenses whjen used at f8 or f5.6. Not only is sharpness comparable but most oterh parameters also...

So, it seem the large price differential really comes down to payment to aquire 2, maybe 3 apertures at the large aperture end,...so important if, for example, one shoots a lot in very low light and requires to make large prints.

It's not that the 24mm is a poor lens because, clearly, it is not,...it's really that the 'kit' lens is such an excellent performer (provided you keep to f5.6 & f8) Personally I have been VERY impressed with my kit lens on the NEX 3 and can't justify the extra exspence just to get a couple of 'extra' stops!

EDIT: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1076242/0#10241850
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    From what I hear it's actually a very good lens with the only drawback being the high price tag, if you got it 200 Euros less than the rrp, good on you! :)
    As for legacy lenses, I for one am a big fan of them but, it will not be for everyone, as for every piece of gear there will always be pros and cons. Legacy lenses are cheaper and they're the tried and tested (one can read countless reviews of users throughout the years who have used the specific lens), however mounting it on the NEX presents it's cons, MF only, adapters are necessary, no OSS, no electrical coupling, and procurement issues (it's alright if you already own them, but if your are buying them, there is no guarantee that they'll be in good condition and there wont be any manufacturer's warranty if they're faulty), it will really come down to how do you prefer to shoot?
    Provided that you are happy with it, I personally think that you made a good purchase with the Zeiss 1.8 (specially with the 200 Euro discount :) )
  6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    @Bugleone: I looked closely to the comparison, and it's clear that the corners are MUCH better on the Zeiss lens, even stopped down to f/8, which is pretty important for landscape shooting. Of course the kit lens is a excellent lens, I always defend it against the cheapish kit zooms from other brands, but I always preferred shooting primes.

@Pheonix: Autofocus is a pretty nice thing to have, in my opinion. :) I can see why some prefer manual focusing - I do myself when I have plenty time to compose a shot - but for street photography, concert shots (where 24mm is enough when you stand in the first row of groupies ;) ) and some other occasions AF is just more reliable.

In the end I just hope Sony and Zeiss know what they do and price their lenses right. Then I should be happy with it - for the lower price I got it. :)
  7. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's a great lens. I love mine. If you've ordered it, then I have to assume that you can afford it.

The more important question is whether a you're going to get enough use out of a high-quality, moderate wide-angle lens to justify it over, for example, the very good Sigma 19mm?

There should be quite a bit of life in lenses like the Zeiss 24, so I think that it will outlive your NEX-5.

Good luck
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Is it worth it? If you want it and can afford...yes it is. It is supposed to be a great lens. When I had an m43 camera I went out and bought a Panasonic/Leica 45 macro (and like you got a great deal on it). I had always resisted because it was so spendy but I will say that once I got it I found it to be an absolutely wonderful lens and worth every penny. I suspect that you'll feel the same about the Zeiss.

Enjoy it.
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Kind of a redundant question since you already bout it.

As much as I love my manual lenses, if a few more of them were in the $300.00 range I would snatch them up.
  10. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Just for the sake of the discussion, as I'm a strict normal and tele shooter, never WA. The major drawback of this lens for me, given price wasn't an issue (but it would be) is its size. For me WA must mean compact. A WA as long as a zoom totally kills any appeal for me.