Just ordered SEL 35 1.8 ! Feedback anyone ??

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by nianys, Feb 7, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hey guys, the SEL 35/1.8 is now in stock with reliable sellers in France, so I just ordered one.

You has it ? How do you like it ? Can you comment on AF speed indoors, vs other native E lenses ?
    Thx guys, will give a mini review once I get it.

2. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Not got it but I've been giving it the eye for a while now. I will be interested to see how you get on with it.

Remember to update to the latest firmware for PDAF support!

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I like it a lot since finally Sony has a smaller lens then 24mm, 50mm, & 15-55 lenses with good IQ & OS. I haven't used much, since I am playing with manual lenses lately. Indoors low light AF speed is similar to 50mm with the old firmware. I posted this in SC forum before but one more time:

Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS Lens Review

It is more useful in comparison to other 35mm lenses. It can be used for portraits as well as landscapes, architecture since it will sharpen evenly as its corner sharpness is closer to center at each aperture...

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Even sharpness distribution doesn't make a lens more useful - for many landscape situations, f/5.6 is just nice, so it's worth a try with any 35mm lens (if the focal length is not too long for you), and for portraits corner sharpness is not that important anyways.

Whatever, it is said to be a nice lens, and I'd definitely buy it if I were into 50mm eq focal lengths.

5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Won't help for the moment, I use C3 and 7 and neither support PDAF. Not that I was impressed with it on the 6 anyway ;)

6. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    It's a great lens, but I find the AF inaccurate in lower light / contrast scenarios.

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Well I guess that's why I was waiting to find it in stock with a reliable seller with good return policy ;)

8. Mirrorless

Mirrorless TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 11, 2012
    Ambrose
    my brother bought it, and I have tried it on his 5N. The form factor is very nice with OSS. Having own a 24CZ, I would say the 35f1.8 was alright from a few causal shots indoor. The results didn't jump out at me screaming "buy me, buy me". Seems less "clinical" ...if that's the word? However it could be due to how he setup his camera, so I am not sure. I would like to love it, but its hasn't make it to my "must have" list... yet. :)

AF speed seems pretty good on the 5N, pretty responsive. Still have problem with "back focusing" using "flexible" point AF option. I think it more of my technique on how to use CD AF correctly.. :(

9. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    To be fair, the reason I carry it around is that a fast lens (1.8) with OSS is really an oddity and very valuable to night shooting.

10. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Well if I happen to be able to live with the AF speed, it will become my MAIN lens as 35mm on APS-C is my favorite FL. The only question will be, will if bring more usability than my beloved PEN F 38/1.8 ?

11. Mirrorless

Mirrorless TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 11, 2012
    Ambrose
    nianys - 50mm that's the one reason why I am considering getting the 35f1.8 to experience what it is all about. :rolleyes:

Some says 50mm is best for portrait, some says 85mm-120mm? If only $$$ is no object :)

12. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    That I will be interested to know , there is no point buying a native lens if the AF isn't useable, especially at it's high price. I've just ordered a fuji x10, from a 'returnable' source and if I bond with it I may just get the 35mm 1.8 in A mount....much cheaPer. If not, and depending on your report, then I will order it in E. So lots of feedback (and fabulous pix) please!

13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    50mm eq is too short for portraits - well, it's okay for full-body portraits. If you want half-body, head and shoulders or something like this, 85 - 135mm eq is ideal (even a bit longer if you want to get closer).

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    When I had only one "kid", I used 50mm lenses all the time, for a 75mm equivalent that was absolutely perfect for head and shoulders portraits. Now that I have to include a second "kid" (my lovely Dobermann puppy) in the frame, I very naturally switched to my 38mm lens. So 35mm should be toast, IF the AF is usable. If not, it's going right back...

15. Sabre36

Sabre36 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2012
    I've had the 35 for a month and very much like it. I wasn't expecting to based on the perceived build quality. I took it on a trip to Budapest and Vienna and took mostly night shots with it - all hand held. Most pictures were quite good. I had been using two Rokkor MF lenses before this - which probably have better color but an awful lot of misses, too, if I am honest. I grew to like the small size & weight, the speed of the lens, and I think AF is acceptable for the shots I take. The only obvious negative is manual focusing - a complete joke. After the trip was over, I went from somewhat suspicious to this becoming my new favorite lens.

Incidentally, I also have the 10-18mm. This lens has more compromises and I can see why people complain about it. Yet, between the two lenses, 10-18mm, 35mm, they make a good traveling set (albeit pricey).

These two photos were shot at f/3.2 1/30th ISO 800 - in very dark settings. Sharpness is lacking, but that is probably me. I wish Lightroom had profiles for them.

parliment.

hotel.

16. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I've been using the 35/1.8 for a couple days now. It's small enough - almost exactly like legacy primes without the adapter and I just love how it feels. The focusing is maybe a tad faster than the SEL50/1.8 but as usual with NEX I find flexible spot the only reliable AF mode (nothing great but doesn't let me down). The OSS is marvellous, Zeiss were lying when they said it's not really useful at this FL it is great and for us dark indoor natural light shooters it is almost compulsory. Glad I gave up waiting on the 32/1.8

And finally I got my hands on a lens before nianys! :p

17. bcaslis

bcaslis New to TalkEmount

Jan 1, 2013
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I've had the SEL35F18 for over three weeks now and I love it. Better than the Nikon 35mm f1.8, virtually no distortion. Sharpness is great, OSS works very well, and focus is as least as good as the kit lens on the 7 and faster than the SEL50F18. This lens was the tipping point for me to get the NEX-7, I wanted a fast native standard prime.

Example photo:

DSC00169.jpg by bcaslis, on Flickr

18. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Good photo! Welcome to the forum...

19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Havin no OSS has many advantages from the lens design to variations between different copies to the optical character. But yes - at lenses in this price range it's definitely nice to have.

20. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan