1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Just Ordered an SEL18200LE

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by slothead, Mar 23, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    And then... I read some stuff that didn't sound so good. Did I screw up by ordering this lens? Is it that bad? What are its pros and cons?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It's the Internets, Tom. Is there any lens ever built about which you can't find someone, somewhere complaining about its shortcomings? Take it out and test it for yourself. If it works for you, use it. If it doesn't, sell it and move on. Some of my favorite lenses have been ones that have been thoroughly trashed on the Internet, and some that have been praised to the heavens have left me cold. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that people's evaluation of lenses is so subjective that you may as well flip a coin when it comes to depending on other's opinions. My advice? Use it for a while and make up your own mind.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    It's a good lens for a "super-zoom". Carry-around with OSS. Works best in day-time/good light. Pretty good at the wide-end, gets soft over 100mm.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    1- Many consider the 55-210 to be better optically.

2- Used in good conditions the 18-200 should get you nice results. It is only when you start asking too much of it that people begin to have issues.

5. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I have missed so many shots by just having one lense.. either the 1855 or the 55210... It does not payoff any marginal image quality for the shot you just missed.
    Any way I am not a big fan of "Quality" of lenses anyway.. It is not my game

6. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Fractal, What is the prognosis of causes the "soft"-ness over 100mm? is it a focus error, or something else? Could it be something that lens firmware could correct? On the up-side, most of me preferred images are landscapes which are likely to necessitate the wide end, but I still am not comfortable with soft images. I hope to have the lens today or tomorrow and we'll see.

Thanks for the inputs,

7. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I did a search on Flickr when I considered this lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neptunj/sets/72157633403764716/

I did not get it in the end only because I could not find one in time for a trip I was going on. Everything I've read about this lens and the Original 18-200 is that this one might be a touch softer at the long end and it has a longer MFD. Focus errors were very common on the longer lenses with the old focus system (NEX 5N, 7, etc.). Most of the review are probably pre-A6000.

I'd say if you are more interested in smaller size, you would probably want this lens (or Tamron 18-200). Let us know how it turns out!

8. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I think it's just due to the optics of the lens. If you are looking for superior IQ, don't shoot at the long end. When I took sports shots with it, I found myself shooting mostly just above 100mm with my NEX-7 as I could crop if I needed a tighter picture. For "capturing memories/walk around lens" it's not a big issue. I sold it after I purchased a Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8. Sometimes I do miss the flexibility of the lens.

Here's Karl Munger's review of the SEL 18-200mm (the lens I had which is the same optically as the SEL 18-200SEL). He also mention softness at the long end and has some samples.

http://kurtmunger.com/sony_nex_18_200mmid237.html

9. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks Chris for sharing this. I feel a lot better about this lens knowing what it is capable of at mid-range apertures (f/8, /11) at 200mm. At least I don't think I will need to drag another system along with me on the vacation I am taking next week.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    There have been 3 different versions of the 18-200

Original SEL18-200 - Is supposedly better for video
    2nd gen SEL18-200LE - Is supposedly better for images
    Power Zoom SELP18-200

Pretty much all of them are very similar, they are all-in-one travel zooms. They are not going to be as good as primes, and for that reason people tend to bash them more because they don't live up to prime performance.

Zooms are designed with several trade offs take to make a lens that works well in many cases, but usually gives up something in return. Often at either the wide end or tele end, sometimes both. And most often when the aperture is fully open.

If you're looking for a single all-around lens to have on days when you don't want to switch lenses, any of these should do. If you need to have power zoom, get the SELP version.

My wife uses the original SEL18200 on the 5N and is happy with it.

11. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I received the lens yesterday and this morning I tested it (very briefly and quickly) and I am very happy with it! It is larger than I expected it to be, but not uncomfortably so.

One of my quick test images: This little guy has had a rough day :( The image was taken at the extreme limit (200mm) under low light conditions. PP with ACR and PS CC, Exif says ISO 25,600, 1/40 sec, F/5.3

DSC00118a1_zpst2lqvdyu.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I hope he has a better day ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

Attached Files:

13. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Here's another in St John, USVI. This was taken at full tele (200mm) and cropped to about 60%. ISO100, 1/400 sec, f/5.3.

I'm surprised that the ISO set itself to 100 (it was set at auto). I would have liked to have a faster shutter speed, but didn't think about it before hand - or I would have selected Shutter Priority.

DSC00061a1_zps7fv82rzq.

• Like Like x 2