Just made my first Sony Time-Lapse

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by slothead, Jun 20, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    What a piece of cake! Easy to set up, easy to start, it finishes itself, and easy to play, edit and convert. I was concerned at first because I saw it recorded in AVI and I didn't know for sure that PS CC would edit AVI, but sure enough... I was able to edit and then render into MP4 (some of my limited knowledge of video).

This was the trailings of tropical storm Bill as it heads for New England I suppose and came through Maryland to get there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Good to know. I am going to try my first timelapse when the new auto-panning timelapse app is released.

3. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Have been using it for a month and it really is cool. It even shows you the images it captured at various points in the shoot during shooting.

Plus it's great fun to capture sunsets and cloud movement

4. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Izzi, for some reason mine has stopped showing the time-line and the intermediate thumbnails. I have probably screwed up the set-up, but it doesn't affect the final product any (just doesn't make it easy to check progress). I have used both the 5 second interval and the 1 second interval and neither of them now show the time-line.

5. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    I guess a reinstall should fix things. I'm sure sony does not save settings

6. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    This does look pretty cool - will save a lot of time doing it in post! No sign of a release date on the Play Memories site, just the teaser vid still.
    As it's an 'add on' to the time-lapse app I wonder if/how much they will charge?

7. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I notice that the time-lapse app costs $10 (but I didn't remember paying that), so I suspect any add-ons are included as free upgrades (but I could certainly be wrong about that).

8. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Well this is the first time they have used the wording 'add-on' - I suspect it means they will start charging $3-5 for new features within existing apps to keep revenue streams going from existing customers.

9. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    What is this auto panning app?

10. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José

11. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I think I figured out what I did wrong. I used the 'settings' option to adjust the interval and the timeline came back.

• Like Like x 1
  12. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    It seems good just zooms into the image while shooting a timelapse. Quite a good idea

13. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Is it really zooming? I guess it could with a power zoom... maybe?

I think it is cropping the image, and then intelligently moving the frame around to simulate zooming and panning. Very cool

14. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    It is just cropping. But it makes sense to do it as even a 1080p video is a massive downscale from the full resolution of the sensor, so the end result will still be the same quality video.

15. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    That makes sense. If that's what this is doing then its a pretty cool idea

16. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Since there is no other external tool that can give this sort of effect

17. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    You could batch process them in Photoshop pretty easily to do this.

18. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Cool, never heard of this. Is there a tutorial somewhere.

Also apart from vanilla timelapse videos and possibly startrails, what else do you shoot with this app?

19. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Not specifically - you'd have to read up on photoshop scripting and how to adjust a parameter for each iteration/loop of the batch run. Basically +1 to horizontal and vertical position of the crop selection each time for example would have you 'pan' diagonally up/right across the image (you could adjust selection size as well for 'zoom'). Not when I said easy I should have added 'if you are a computer nerd'!

I have mainly used the app just for the reasons you state, the only other use I can think of is if you want to capture a still of something which happens occasionally over the course of some hours (shooting stars, lightning), and so the cam will just keep taking pics and hopefully you'll get it in one of them rather than you keep pressing the shutter over and over manually.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015