1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just installed Windows 10...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by addieleman, Jul 29, 2015.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    ... and so far no accidents with Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC. Lightroom reacts quicker when browsing through images than under Windows 8.1 which is a badly needed improvement as LR6.1 was really sluggish in Windows 8.1 on my laptop (i7 - 16GB - no SSD).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    First mishap: Capture One wants me to re-enter the license code and after that it complains that I have already used up the maximum number of activations. Apparently I should have deactivated C1 before installing W10.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I have that little icon on my desktop at home just sitting there waiting for me. I'm scared to click it. I have Windows 7 and like it just fine. But I suppose I'll have to do it eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  4. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    No thanks I will stick to Windows 7.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Only upgraded to win 8.1 a few months ago (cause of a laptop upgrade) and its a learning process from win 7 I had before...so not looking to move to win 10 unless its a necessity :) Btw, out of curiosity is the interface much different from win 8 ?

6. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

The best thing to do would be to wait six months. Let people like Ad (and myself) work the kinks out. Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for 12 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Yep that is my plan. I want to wait and see all the glitches taken care of before I download it.

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I'm sticking with Win7. Win8 had me running and screaming out of the room. ;)

9. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Good call IMHO. I only ventured this upgrade because a) I'm confident that I can go back to my old installation, be it while probably uttering some profanities, and b) I was so sick and tired of Windows 8 that I seriously contemplated to switch to Apple. I'll hold off on that decision for some time now while working with Windows 10.

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It's not the kind of shock and anger you get when going from 7 to 8, I wasn't really put off by it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's good to know :)

12. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just Googled it and it sounds good...says its very similar to Windows 7, which as a Windows 7 user, that would hopefully make the transition a little smoother.

I'm going to sign up /reserve an upgrade, then wait a few months until the inevitable first Service Pack is built / released.

Glad this thread appeared as I had not heard about the free upgrade.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  13. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'd say the best of Windows 7 and the best of Windows 8.1 brought together in a way that makes sense.

14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    So far I'm happy but I'll wait at least a few weeks before I make up my final judgement.

Up to now I have the following issues.
    • I lost Capture One's activation, should probably have deactivated it before upgrading.
    • Today there was an update of Adobe Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC. After that Photoshop refused to use my nVidia GeForce GT 630M graphics card for acceleration, I had to change that to the built-in Intel 4000 adapter. Lightroom still is able to use the nVidia card. Incidentally, with Bridge CC and the new Camera Raw 9.1.1 I was able to open A7RII raws but not with Lightroom. I guess nVidia has some work to do on their drivers.
    • I sync my Firefox bookmarks with Apple's iCloud and the upgrade messed up my bookmarks toolbar, deleting all entries. I recreated them and they stay put for now.

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    I had to update to W7 to use LR 5, and so far I have no reason to move to W10.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I powered up my laptop this morning and the Microsoft invitation icon was waiting for me to reserve my free upgrade copy, which I did so I'm in the queue.
    Now I’ll wait until wintertime, probably after the holidays when winter weather has me indoors some days anyway, to actually execute the automatic upgrade.
    And by then, hopefully the first ‘Service Pack’ of initial fixes should be integrated into the code.
    Once again, my thanks for this thread...the time for Win-7 support to go away has to be on the horizon now anyway so the timing will be good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dane

Dane New to TalkEmount

Jul 7, 2015
    I've been using it for a few months now (part of their "preview program"). They've tidied it up quite nicely and I'm very happy with it at this point.

18. jimmoore

jimmoore TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    Just jumped from 7 pro. to 10 pro.
    All programes working OK. and a bit faster

19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good to hear...mine is also Win7pro/64bit...and faster would be great.

20. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Compared to which version? Win 7 or Win 8?