1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just got the SEL2870 for my A7 and can't get focus peaking to show or make any micro focus adjustmen

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Tenchiro, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Tenchiro

Tenchiro New to TalkEmount

Aug 9, 2014
    Providence, RI
    Michael
    I noticed the focus peaking would not show even on high, so I figured I would adjust the focus. The MFA is enabled but the adjustment is greyed out.

I have always used manual lenses prior to this. Does the peaking get disabled on an AF lens normally?

2. Tenchiro

Tenchiro New to TalkEmount

Aug 9, 2014
    Providence, RI
    Michael
    When in doubt RTFM;

Allows you to make fine adjustments to the position of the focus when an LA-EA2/LA-EA4 Mount Adaptor (sold separately) is attached. (AF Adjustment Set./amount/Clear)

Still unsure why the peaking is off..

3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I'll take a WAG at it.

The LA-EA2/LA-EA4 adapters having the mirror and focus using the PDAF points in the adapter. So it makes sense that the camera would then turn off peaking when using the adapter to focus since the camera itself isn't doing the focusing.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Not sure I fully understand but will respond anyway, maybe it'll help.
    1. With the SEL2870 (or any other Sony E or FE lens) peaking will only show when Focus Mode is DMF or MF; when turning the focus ring you'll get a magnified view depending on the camera's settings and you can adjust focus. In AF-S or AF-C you will never see peaking and turning the focusing ring won't have any effect.
    2. Not sure what you mean by MFA. Anyway, AF Micro Adj. is only applicable when using the LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 adapter and you can't be using one of those with the SEL2870.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Manual Focus Assist maybe?

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Who knows? I hate guessing so abbreviations aren't my cup of tea. As the OP is not responding it's probably not worth spending any more time on his questions.