1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Just got my NEX7 - questions from a NEX7 noobie

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Armanius, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    The local shop here in Houston finally got the NEX7. I had a deposit, was planning on canceling, but ended up getting it. Couple of questions for NEX 7 users with more experience:

(1) Does the peaking function work better on the LCD than the EVF? The shimmer seems to be much less pronounced when using the EVF. That's a bummer for me, because I like using EVF over LCD. Did y'all experience the same thing?

(2) When using MF Assist (the focus magnify), the shimmer from the peaking disappears. I can occasionally see a little bit when in the magnify view. But not very much at all. Is that normal?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I find that the focus peaking shimmer does depend on the level I have it set on (low, med, high) and that the higher the ISO or the lower the light the less shimmer I get from the focus peaking.

1. I find it the same with the EVF and LCD (or could probably be my eyes :p)
    2. In focus magnify, this is really where the ISO and available light falls into play. In very limited light or on higher ISO levels the shimmer from the peaking is very hard to see (even if set on high), my guess is it's harder for it to detect contrast in the low light or high ISO sensitivity.

3. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    All my testing was done in low light and ISO 1600-6400. I will need to try it with better light, and see what happens. I am thinking about using the NEX7 as a MF only camera. So far, when combined with a M lens, the IQ is great even shooting at 1600-6400.

4. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I usually shoot in B/W and have the peaking colour in red, I find focusing using the peaking function in this set up to be quite accurate and very fast (even in low light)

That's my current set up, and I have to say, I am fighting a really bad case of lens GAS.....must.......resist.....GAS................................

5. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    congrats on your new "7".... mine came in too!!

6816761904_117a6517ba_z.

Vivatar 28/2.8 close focus......

6. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Enjoy your new camera! What about your M9? :)

8. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    I got the NEX7 with the hopes that it could replace the M9 for M lens usage. From the manual focus standpoint though, I think it's still easier to manually focus a M lens with the M9. Other than that, I like the NEX7, but I don't think I like it enough to keep it. Maybe if I was using the NEX as an AF camera with the Sony/Zeiss 24, my experience would be better. Or who knows, I just need more practice!

Oh well, I decided to list the NEX7 at FredMiranda.com.

9. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Are you giving the Fuji X Pro 1 a go? If you are I'd be very interested regarding your thoughts about it.

10. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    I preordered the Fuji and OMD. But ended up canceling both preorders. Even if I preorder it again, it'll probably take me forever to get a hold of the Fuji now. Without focus peaking, I'm not sure if the manual focus implementation of the Fuji would even equal that of the NEX. I tried the NEX7 with good light, and the LCD does show the peaking shimmer much better than the EVF. Disappointed about that.

11. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Yay! Finally! Great feline shot... shaaarp!

12. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    That is why I asked eg the manual focus in comparison to m9. I guess it is faster with a rangefinder then the mirrorless. I still struggle with mf with moving objects coming to me, maybe af is better for that.

It looks like a quick sale.

13. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    It maybe that there's really no true substitute for a rangefinder when it comes to manual focus ease. I've tried the GXR with the M module, and I also thought the rangefinder was easier to manually focus.

No inquiries at FredMiranda so far ...