• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Just got my Fujian 35mm 1.7 CCTV lens :D

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
The nice postman just brought me my brand new Fujian 35mm lens! :D

Right now I can just say that I love the color rendering and that it's not sharp anywhere down to f/2.8 - but neither too blurry at the corners. Looks cool for portraits, and I'll go out and do some street photography with it, to see how well it actually do in real world use.

As far as the haptic is concerned, it feels great and is really fun to use! Just that the marks on the aperture ring are on the bottom of the lens seems a bit strange ...

Oh, and the macro rings DO work. I'll post samples later today.

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Sounds good dude, it's good to hear that you finally got your lens after the trouble of the mistaken address, and what's even better is you're really loving the results! We're looking foward to your samples.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Phoenix! Yeah, I am pretty happy that I received it without too much trouble. :)

After a day of shooting, it's still a very interesting lens! You can get pretty dramatic effects out from it - a picture can look way more sad or happy than you may have wanted it in the end. Technical, it CAN be absolutely sharp in the center - look at the second sample. Believe me or not, but even in 100% view the center looks as sharp as it gets. The borders are a bit blurry, but who expects edge-to-edge sharpness from this lens anyways? Color rendering is great - just a bit on the low contrast side.

That said, the bokeh is just CRAZY! As always, you can find it cool or bad, but it's interesting. As for usability, both focus and aperture rings are a bit harder to turn than I expected, but still okay. The biggest problem is the focus ring operation - if you turn it too much to one side, and than turn it back just the little bit you turned it too much, it's not exactly where it should be. And if you focus on something farer away - say from 5 - 6 meters - the focus isn't accurate in any way. Even if the focus peaking says it's sharp, it's sometimes just blurry ...

I'll give you more and of course better samples soon - wasn't able to get time to actually shoot today. After all, I still like the lens and I hope it does well in low light conditions in the coming days. :)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/6590629039/" title="Fujian 35mm f/1.7 - Going down under ... by Poki5, on Flickr">View attachment 24355"640" height="426" alt="Fujian 35mm f/1.7 - Going down under ..."></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/6590628207/" title="Fujian 35mm f/1.7 - Sample by Poki5, on Flickr">View attachment 24356"640" height="426" alt="Fujian 35mm f/1.7 - Sample"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/6590627469/" title="Fujian 35mm - With Macro rings by Poki5, on Flickr">View attachment 24357"640" height="426" alt="Fujian 35mm - With Macro rings"></a>

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Looks great Poki, I myself like low contrast lenses as I can bump up the contrast on the shot and still get decent detail from the shades and shadows (B&W point of view). The sharpness and bokeh look fantastic, have you tried to adjust the peaking level from low, medium and high? I find that peaking effect varies from one lens to another, hopefully it helps.

Great find dude.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, the low contrast isn't bad - b&w portraits just look gorgeous!

After some shots I let focus peaking just on high. In some situations (portraits for example) I found it very difficult to nail the focus on the eyes - the ears or the nose were highlighted, but not the eyes. I suppose this is a result of the lacking sharpness of the lens. Screen magnification helps here.

For the distance shots, I really can't explain why it was off that much. I'm going to do more testing here tomorrow - also with focus peaking on mid and low. Maybe that's better for distance shots. We'll see. :)

Seayear

New to TalkEmount
I got one too, here share some pictures to u :D
   ---            

---            

---            

Seayear

New to TalkEmount
thx...I just got this lens for one week, and ill upload more images later:)
BTW, this lens can make great vidio, see and click here

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I too am interested in exploring these TV lenses (c-mount).

I have a question:
When the Fijian 35mm lens is mounted on the NEX, is the equivalent focal length a 70mm for film SLR? Is the multiplication factor (x2) ?

Real Name
John
Just got my 35/1.7 and here is the obligatory cat pic
featuring Nala shot with the NEX 7......

---            

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
@Dioptrick: The multiplication factor is x1.5, so its roughly a 50mm standard lens equivalent.

@hodad66: Love the shot! This one really shows how this lens wants to be used.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
@Dioptrick: The multiplication factor is x1.5, so its roughly a 50mm standard lens equivalent.
Thanks for that Poki. Is it true that this is a plastic lens? I've done a bit of digging around and found so many fantastic shots taken with this lens. I'm puzzled as to what makes it so good seeing as it's so inexpensive??

Is it as good as you thought, Hodad66 ?

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Thanks for that Poki. Is it true that this is a plastic lens? I've done a bit of digging around and found so many fantastic shots taken with this lens. I'm puzzled as to what makes it so good seeing as it's so inexpensive??
Actually, it's built of metal! Yeah, not the most expensive metal and the focus/aperture-rings are made of some rubber-like material, but it's built very well.

For this price you can't go wrong. You just have to know what you get when you shoot with this lens - if you look at the pictures fullscreen you can see they're not all that sharp, but the cool bokeh, the crazy color rendering and the low price are three good reasons to get this lens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom