1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just got a pinhole adapter for my Nex 5r

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by The Sparrow, Sep 13, 2013.

1. The Sparrow

The Sparrow TalkEmount Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    Regrettably my battery was dead after only a few pics because I forgot to charge it the night before.

So I'm only posting 1 photo.

its made by a company called Rising.

http://www.rising.co.kr/

Bought mine from B&H in New York.

The documentation lists it as 18mm focal length, f 1:82!

This pic was with a 1/4 second exposure. Note the spots, your sensor has to be spotless!

DSC02112.

2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Can't you make one with a body cap and a square of foil? When I was a kid we used to make pinhole cameras using cardboard and foil.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yes you can, and save a bunch of money doing it. Results won't be much different than one that's laser drilled. In my experience a pinhole is a waste of time on digital. They work well on film, not so much on digital.

They are very efficient at showing you how dirty your sensor is though. ;)

4. The Sparrow

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    IMG00282-20130913-1412.

This is how it looks.

5. The Sparrow

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    What a great forum this is. /sarcasm

1. I've wasted my money.
    2. Pinhole on digital is stupid.

Have fun on your forum, I'm going to take pictures instead.

6. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
  7. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    Don't you think you are overreacting a little? First I'm not sure that is an accurate interpretation of what was said and second, even if it was, its only one person's opinion.

I don't really understand what draws people to pinhole photography. Maybe you can tell us what you like about it?

8. On to the NEX

On to the NEX TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    I think it has an interesting effect. If you like it, keep doing it. Everyone has their own opinion.

9. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Looks cool, been interested in trying pin hole, how much was the cap, and does it have glass in it? I'm asking because I would consider putting it on my 5n so I can slip it in my work suit pocket. Is there any chance to shoot handheld on nex? I mean iso 16000 maybe for B&W? Forum is a great place btw don't be so sensitive :)

10. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    A little? :D

11. The Sparrow

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Canada
    $30 american $ shipping and such.

Nope, just a tiny hole.

It is small for sure. Adds maybe 10 mm total to the nex body only thickness. You could put it in your suit pocket for sure.
    On a bright sunny day in my back yard, I had to crank the iso up to 6400 to be able to get the shutter speed up to 1/60. So I guess it can be done, yes.

Meh, twice I've posted about some new piece of equipment I just got, and both times someone immediately proceeded to explain how that equipment was crap.

Thanks for asking about the adapter. I like it. It's not sharp by any means, but I knew that going in. I like the hybridization of modern technology with primitive tools. I've also a fondness for very early photography. For $30 bucks its a fun little tool that allows me to get a bit more 'earthy' with making pictures, if that makes sense. Sure it could probably be replicated using post processing, I would just rather mess with things up front then after, just my personal 'fun'. This way I get to make a pinhole image and not have to wait a week to find out I screwed it up.

Neat thing about it, the depth of field is huge. I took a pic through a window screen. The screen 4 inches away from the camera is just as sharp as the trees 100 yards away. Kinda cool.
    There's a pinhole group (ok several) on flickr. For me though, some are so sharp and ...even... that they don't even look like pinhole anymore, that is, they just look like regular photos. If this adapter had done that I would have been disappointed, that's not what I was looking for.