• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Just got a HVL-F43AM for my NEX-6

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Just opened the box, and have to say this thing easily rivals any Nikon, Canon, or Metz flash I've ever had, build-wise. I'm at my office and FEDEX tells me the adapter for it to fit my NEX-6 is on my doorstep at home... might have to go home for lunch...

...more later, but REALLY nice feeling unit.

teefin1

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Ooh, that's the big boy isn't it? Didn't realise an adapter was needed. Be interested in your thoughts on it......not that I have a NEX at present!

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
No, this is the smaller of the two BIG flashes. My NEX-6 has a standard hot shoe with Sony contacts lurking under the front edge. The ADP-MAA adapter converts the shoe to the standard Sony Multi-style. I think leaving the adapter on the camera is the way to go. The flash slides in and snaps very securely, releasing by push-button. The adapter also slides in easily, but has the typical knurled ring. I think using the flash sliding onto the adapter will save wear on the camera shoe. Sorry for the phone pics...

IMAG0188.jpg
   ---            

IMAG0189.jpg
   ---            

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I didn't realize you can adapt that DSLR flash unit to a NEX6. I really like the 90° swivel capability and the built-in bounce card and diffuser.

Please do tell us more about it. :)

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
I didn't realize you can adapt that DSLR flash unit to a NEX6. I really like the 90° swivel capability and the built-in bounce card and diffuser.

Please do tell us more about it. :)

I've always used my DSLR dedicated flash units to smalle cameras, NEX, GX-1? and even the tiny ZX-1 !! A little unwieldy, but the results are there... My new flash should arrive tomorrow, I picked an Oly FL-36, which is, to my knowledge, the smallest tilt/swivel unit available with manual control.

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I really like the Metz 44AF-1, and used it on my Olys. I have to say for a GN of 43, this is a big flash, but really nice. Great swivel function. I just did a little product work at my table, and it worked flawlessly on my NEX-6 with the camera on M (to balance natural light in the room), and on A to pick DOF first. It looks like the zoom on the flash works perfectly, but doesn't display the numeric value on the LCD screen. I don't really care, just noting...

DSC00052.jpg
   ---            

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
One of the bigger changes with the NEX-6 and A99 was the move to a more standard hot shoe. It will take a standard flash like a Vivitar 283/285 as-is. My Metz works perfectly on it as a manual flash. I wanted some degree of automation for snapshots and bounce though, so bought the Sony flash. It has the Minolta-inherited shoe. The adapter mechanically makes the new style hot shoe of the NEX-6 look like the shoe on every other Sony NEX, NEX-7, 5n, 5R, etc., while keeping most of the functionality. Still experimenting on what it loses by using an adapter...

Better?

BTW, found the flash on ebay for $275 shipped. Used, but in perfect condition.

ruko

New to TalkEmount
Hello

Does this flash have all the TTL functions with the NEX6? I just purchased an NEX6 and I'm confused as to what flash to get for it. I want all the automatic functions available from the camera to the flash.

Thanks

Latest threads

Top Bottom