Just found my calling... rare/exotic lens guru

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Nov 14, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hey guys,

NEX owner since early September, I was immediately bitten by the MF bug. I've written many a post about this condition/addiction, that I happily give in to, and to be honest, with very little remorse or guilt.

I've been thu pretty much all the "to do" lenses that we're discussing here : Hexanons AR, Canons FL/fD, Rokkors MC/MD, Super Taks, Olympus both OM and PEN, Carl Zeiss Jenna, Helios...
    I still have to play with the cult Pentax SMC 50/1.7 and the Carl Zeiss 50/1.7 in Y/C mount (and some manual Nikons) but overall I've walked the walk.

Now I've discovered my true calling, and that's trying and loving lenses that are mucb more rare, less used, sometimes less reputed. The more exotic the better.
    I'm waiting for a QBM adapter to test a Rollei 50/1.8 Planar I've been delivered over a week ago. Getting pretty itchy about this one I admit, lol.
    I will buy again the beautiful Auto Reflecta that was my first MF lens that I stupidly sold because I was unskilled manual focusing on the GX-1.
    A Auto Mamiya Sekor 55/1.4 caught my attention and I can't wait until I secure one.

So bring them on rareties if you know of a few hidden gem, my focal lengths of choice are anything around 50. Nifties are golden !

2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Pentacon - 50/1.4
    Jupiter-8 - 50/2 (chrome and black versions)
    Helios 103 in Contax/Kiev RF mount - 53/1.8
    Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston - 50/1.8
    Industar 61 LD - 55/2.8

3. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Auto Revuenon 55/1.7

That's it, I found a clone of the Auto Reflecta that I liked. The one I just got is the one with the faux leather ring. I re checked the shots I had done with the Reflecta wide open on the GX-1? and the sharpness/OOF contrast was just amazing.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I suppose this lens is too wide for your tastes, but I'd be very curious about the Kern Paillard Switar 25mm f1.4. It's C-mount so I expect it may have issues covering the whole frame but it's as exotic as they get.

Also if I had the money, the Konica M 50/1.2 is stunningly beautiful, probably my favorite looking lens of all - with a bit of Contax G flavor but better... but it's priced like a Leica :(

5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I wonder if the term "fast 50" comes from the max aperture and focal length or because in no time at all you'll probably own 50 of them :confused:. When I was playing with MF lenses it seemed like it could have been either.

6. snkenai

snkenai TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Stephen Noel
    50s tend to accumulate like dust bunnies.

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    In fact I sold a bunch of them and found myself with "only" 4 to chose from last night, that felt pretty lonely !

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Huh, I must be weird. I only have my SMC Tak 55/1.8 & no real desire for anything else. Might swap the 55 for a 50/1.4 eventually, but no burning need at this point. :)

9. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think fast 50's pile up quickly for a few reasons, there are a lot to choose from, a lot of them are pretty good and for the most part they're cheap. I've been trying to buy an MC Rokkor 24/2.8 and they hover around $200 - $300. I can probably get a half dozen fast 50's for that amount.

10. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I've got one of those and I know what you mean... it's a fantastic lens - that's if I ever see mine again! I lent it to a good friend who recently bought a 5N and he told me he may never give it back (he's just blown away by it)!!

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, you're one of the reasons I got mine. ;)

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I had the Tak and it's very sweet. But I admit I'm addicted to the ability to swap them !! I can stick to one guy in my life, but no way on Earth I'm being faithful to one nifty ;)

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
  14. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    :D

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
  16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There's still time to win! Hopefully your luck is better is mine. ;)

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    A French dude just won 169 million EUROS (that's close to 200 M$) at the lottery. Dang.

18. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    How rude! He probably didn't even offer to share did he? Well, I wouldn't either I guess. :)

19. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Or perhaps you are normal and those of us with a large selection of legacy lenses of the same or similar focal length are 'weird'. :D

It can become a bit of an addiction for some (me included) and part of it is just curiousity to see what a lens is like and part of it perhaps a quest for the 'ultimate' /best lens (whatever that is) plus the fact that they are often so cheap anyway so it's not a purchase you have to think long and hard about. As well as being able to sell them for the same amount you paid for them so no real risk whereas a new native mount lens would usually have to be sold at a loss if you didn't like it. But nobody really needs half a dozen or more 50mm lenses and I do need to do what others here have done and thin the herd at some stage. :eek:

20. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Oh, it wasn't a knock. After all, I have 8 copies of the same pocket knife. And I have lenses that I haven't even seen in years. Speaking of which, I really need to have a fire sale. :)