1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just for the record ( a DSLR picture)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by nianys, Jan 24, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Being NEXless for the moment, the only two cameras left in the house are a Nikon D90 and a Canon S90 (I'm an equal opportunity photographer, obviously...)..
    It'd be very easy to slap a 50ish or close lens on the 90, or even a quality zoom like the Tamron 28-75/1.8 I used with it for years, but everything got sold, save for an older 75-240 plastic zoom that I must have snatched for aout 70€, delivered, on the famous "Le Bon Coin", the French equivalent of Craig's List.
    I did try to squeeze as much decent IQ that I could from the S90, but as awesome as it is for a small sensor compact camera, it really is struggling in the very dim light of my living room. Sure, it does produce usable pictures, but none I'd be too proud or pleased to share.
    So, what could I do ? Errr, I guess you know the answer.
    On the Nikon the slow zoom went, and so did the SB-600 (considering the apertures available, I needed all the help I could get in the light department). And so, I shot THIS

9e16343c63649c15878f15c4f238e866_5b0.jpg

There's defnitely a bit more depth of field than I would have wanted if given the choice, but overall the result is rather pleasing, and the sharpness and detail extremely good IMO for what is now considered an obsolete consumer body, with a consumer grade slow zoom lens. The noise is really well controled at ISO400 even though the image was much darker and pulled back from the jpg file in PP. Icing on the cake, focusing was nearly a breeze on the black dog in his dark corner. The downside : that thing is HUGE !! It's considered like a rather modest sized DLSR but boy, after shooting mirrorless bodies for a year now, it felt really weird in the hand.

There's no conclusion or morale to that little post, I just wanted to share an image, but felt compelled to explain why and how it was not a mirrorless made image :) Opinions, comments or feedback welcome.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I maybe be biased but I think a great photo is mainly in the photographer's skills/talent (no matter the gear) (I bet you'd take a stunning shot with an i-Phone :D) - and you certainly have it IMHO :)

I recently realised that I'm probably the only mirrorless camera user that doesn't mind the added size/weight of one with a rather big-ish lens, one that would dismiss the othewise EVILs benefit - portability :p
    Having said that, i'm (again) torn lately whether I should go for an upgraded Nex over my 1st gen 5 (6 or 7) or a mid size DSLR instead, a dilemma I was having right before I decided to go with the Nex and a dilemma which is coming back :( ...

3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    ha ha Nick, you will always return to a dslr, they are too easy and convenient to use, nice photo claire

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Nick, let me set this straight : I hate all forms of cellphone photography, and can't for the life of me understand why opinion tend to think that they can actually be anything but crap.

That being taken care of, I'm not torn between mirrorless vs DLSR. I realized several things this past year : I'll never live without full time live view. And, I want a good looking camera (by my standards, of course). And, I don't want anything bigger than an X Pro 1, nor smaller than a GX-1. So, no DSLR for me, i fell for RF type sexiness (corner EVF please !!!)

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    The x10 does not have live view.... That's what made me get a nex 5n

6. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    So did I, so I recently picked up this. But I think our thought process is just a little different ;):

[​IMG]

On a related topic, I also took out my dSLR recently. I was not expecting the size difference to be that big, especially after I've toted that thing all over the US. My neck and shoulders will be much happier the next time I hike the Grand Canyon.

7. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Why anyone would consider a D90 obsolete is really beyond me. It's such a competent camera. It might be old school on the video side, but the stills capabilities are still top notch. I'm using a 5D for my DSLR, and that's older than dirt, but the pics still are better than anything I've gotten from mirrorless or compact cameras (though I have not used the latest, like the RX1 or new Leicas). Obsolete is in the eye of the beholder! (at least IMO)

8. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    D90 is a bit of a classic. It may be getting a bit long in the tooth but it's not really obsolete. The model may have been replaced (sort of, by the D7000) but you can still buy the D90 brand new in the UK (£400). I guess the high ISO performance is the main area where it has fallen behind (and video of course) but although I have never owned one I have seen some stunning photos taken with it - very capable camera in the right hands even now.

9. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    I agree regarding how good the D90 is. Obsolete, I guess, considering everything older than a year is obsolete in the digital realm. Funny but other than video and improved higher ISO I’m not certain image quality has really improved all that much in today’s current to become obsolete cameras. Make no mistake I like the ability to have usable higher ISO but really…all cameras are a compromise of one sort or another. And I agree with Nick,
    “ I think a great photo is mainly in the photographer's skills/talent”.
    I was viewing some images today from a pro photographer who still uses another of those “obsolete” cameras and his work is as good or better than most.
    Bruce

10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I think we are very lucky when we can consider something like the D90 to be old or outdated. Admittedly it's starting lack features that we take for granted now and it does still have that awful mirror flapping about inside, but purely as an imaging device it is not embarassed at all. Similarly, I haven't yet found a newer camera that can make my 2008 model Canon 50D look bad. Recent sensor advances have chipped away nicely at the extremes like high ISOs and dynamic range, but the ability to take high quality images in less than bad conditions is not a new invention.

I really should sell my 50D and my few remaining lenses while the camera body is still worth something. I know that I would never travel with it again and nor do I use it that often, but despite the size and lack of decent live-view facility there is still something that feels right when I do use it and I still love what it leaves behind on the memory card.

Nice puppy portrait, BTW!

11. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    All mirrorless are able to show full time exposure simulation, aren't they ??

12. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Lovely pic! I considered a d90 way back (last year) as people still rave about it, but after experiencing mirrorless I think I will always prefer good live view and am enjoying the up sides of the a57. I thought the x-10 had live view??

13. Luckypenguin

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    The X10 does have live view of course, but not through the eye-level viewfinder (which is an optical, non-TTL view only).

14. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Are you kidding me? I've shot with it for months and I can't find it!

Sent from my iPad using My fingers

15. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I don't know, when I'm in manual mode and switch my shutter speed or aperture the on screen display does not get brighter or darker. Only after you take the shot does it show up.

Sent from my iPad using My fingers

16. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    The Pentax K01 works in exactly that way Deadbear, the screen is bright all the time and doesn't represent live exposure settings, they can only be seen in playback, one of the two main reasons I cancelled my order.

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yep you won't get real time exp simulation in manual mode. You do get a rather faithful representation of it in the other modes when using exp comp tho.

18. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    In any camera? I do on the a57, and did on the NEXes.......I think.

19. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    NEXes do allow that, as do the m4/3 bodies I tried (both Panny and Oly)

20. Luckypenguin

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    In the most basic sense, any camera that produces a real time feed directly from the sensor has live view. I think what you are describing is whether the camera provides a faithful representation of the final exposure and this capability varies from brand to brand. There is a practical reason to not show the actual exposure in manual mode. If you are using a flash, your aperture/shutter/ISO settings would give a black image if the flash didn't fire and the camera can't simulate the effect of a flash on the preview screen. It will instead increase the gain on the image so that you can still see your subject and frame your shot.

I have my Olympus E-M5 with me here and I note that in manual mode it does provide an accurate preview when the exposure is within a couple of stops of what it considers to be a correctly exposed image, but if I change the exposure too far from this value it never allows the screen to get too dark or too bright so that it is still possible to see what is in the frame.