Just bought a Minolta Maxxum AF Zoom 100-200mm 1:45(22) "Mini Beercan"

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ecaggiani, Jul 11, 2013.

1. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Reading TalkNex has given me the encouragement to experiment with some older glass for my 3N, so I just picked up a Minolta Maxxum AF Zoom 100-200mm F4.5 "Mini Beercan" from ebay for a total of $41 shipped.

I have the LA-EA2 adaptor for A-mount lenses, so I figured for that cheap, I'll give it a shot. The reviews seemed pretty strong at Dyxum.

I haven't received it yet, but I'll be sure to test it out and post some test shots. Anyone here have any experience with these?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I will be interested to see the results. The Minolta 'can lenses seem to be highly regarded.

3. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    That's a nice compact AF lens and pretty sharp. I used to have one when I had an A35. Main thing I didn't like about it was the MFD was about 2 meters. If you like taking close ups of flowers and bugs, you will bump up against this limit. If you like it but want something more flexible, try out the AF 70-210 3.5-4.5. Range is a bit more flexible and MFD is closer to 1m.

4. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    I was mainly looking to get the longer distance with this lens, so close ups weren't really a factor. Plus, for $40 it seemed worth the risk :)

I did look at the 70-210 but they all seemed to start at $100+ and though that's still pretty inexpensive, I felt the smaller size of the 100-200 at less than half the price would be a good way for me to test the waters with legacy lenses. Can't wait for it to arrive! Glad to hear it is well-regarded and sharp. Might make a great addition to my bag when we go to Machu Picchu in September.

5. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Finally got a chance to take a couple of snaps with the Minolta Maxxum AF 100-200 mini beercan. Kinda digging it :)

flagporch.

pinkflowers.

6. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    One more of my coworker shooting a spider with his Nikon.

[​IMG]

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Lovely shots ;)

8. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Those are certainly clear and sharp. Nice.

Tony

9. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Thanks guys!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using TalkNEX mobile app