1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just bought a A7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by sonicbuffalo, Aug 7, 2014.

1. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    Do any of you have any advice on seting up my A7? I am expecting it by FedEx today. I can't wait! I have been a Nikon fan, and have the trinity zooms and a D610. I just sold a D7100 yesterday to help finance the A7.

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It took me a whole evening to begin to figure out my new A7 and I was coming from another advanced Sony mirrorless [the NEX-7]. Just got to poke around and get a sense for what everything does.

The main thing is deciding how you want to assign all the buttons to best suit your shooting flow. There's a few functions you will probably not be familiar with, like focus magnification which I find to be enormously important for manual focus (YMMV). Also think about how you want to set up the two memory recall modes (for me M1 is long exposure tungsten light tripod mode and M2 is handheld low light)

The good news is, once you get used to the camera it should become quite intuitive and the need to access the menus should become pretty infrequent.

Congratulations!

3. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    Are you satisfied with the IQ of the A7? I'm coming from both a Nikon D7100 and a D610 (FF). The pictures were great but much too heavy in the gear I used!

4. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    IQ should be pretty comparable to your D610.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Like Jeff said, it is a matter of exploring the menu and setting it up as you wish.

A7 doesn't have the min. shutter speed option with auto ISO in A-priority. What I've done so far is to use it in Manual mode with Auto ISO, and setting the shutter speed to what I would set it if I had a min. shutter speed option. This works well except in bright lit situations where I do need to adjust the shutter speed to something faster than what I use.

I normally leave focus peaking on regardless of AF or MF. If in AF, I use DMF which makes focus tweaking a breeze.

Besides that, I wish APS-C Crop mode can be assigned to a custom button. Then I'd have a 55mm and a ~85mm at the click of a button!

6. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I recommend Gary Friedman's, "The Complete Guide to Sony's Alpha 7 and 7R Mirrorless Cameras." It saved me a lot of time in getting around the A7. You can buy it as an e-book (PDF and epub).

7. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I'm going to wait another 18 months or so for that. Then, shortly before I buy a newer improved model, I'll go ahead and read a manual or guide and slap my forehead a bunch of times for all the capabilities and features I've been missing out on.

At least, that's how I normally roll. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  8. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I read through 20 pages of discussion at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1257298/0

Of course the discussion is not systematic, but I did learn a few things.

Since I also have NEX 5N, I try to setup some common functions in the same/similar way.