1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just bought a 3n kit - what lens for best landscape pictures?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by plex, Jul 6, 2013.

1. plex

plex TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 6, 2013
    Hi!

I've just upgraded my old compact Nikon S8200, to the Nex 3n with 16-50 kit lens - it was on sale, so I took the chance.

I was so disappointed, with landscape pictures and low light on the S8200, so I hope the 3n would do better.

As the 3n is a CSC camera, and I'm wondering if a need another lens, for the perfect landscape pictures - for my next trip to Brazil. I've read that a zoom lens, wont be as sharp as a fixes lens?

Would the "cheap" Sigma 19mm, perform better, when I'm standing on a hill, and want to have the best wide landscape picture?

I'm very novice, so I don't know much about understanding the technical data on the lenses. As far as I know the sigma has f/2,8, witch means it would do better in low light, compared to the kit lens - right? But would it be better, in sharpness and overall performance?

Any suggestions would be very welcome

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes the sigma 19 is a great lens. It will be better in low light and sharper than the kit. Probably a little less distortion also.

Another option is the sony 16mm 2.8 and the wide angle adapter witch makes it 12mm. It's about 300.00 for that com o right now. If corner sharpness is not too important it's great.

The sony 10-18 is also higher in price and as another thread says, the qc on this lens has been iffy.

If your willing to spend some cash go for the zeiss 12mm.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, it will be sharper, and will do somewhat better (a little more than half a stop) in low light. And this is coming from someone who loves his 16-50mm lens. The trade-off will be losing those 3mm. It may not sound like much, but it can make a difference, especially when shooting wide landscapes.

I mainly shoot landscapes too, and more often than not my aperture is set to f/5.6 or f/8 to get foreground objects in focus. So the little extra light the Sigma could give me is of little value to me. But it will be sharper wide open.

Bottom line: if wide and low light are what you're after, you won't find anything similar at that price for the NEX.

4. plex

plex TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 6, 2013
    My budget is pretty low, so maybe I should try the Sigma 19mm, even the 3mm lower aperture. I haven't received the camera yet, so maybe I should try it first. But if I can gain more sharpness with a cheap Sigma 19mm, I'm more than ready to buy it. The 30mm Sigma is more for portrait right?

What camera bag, would be the best for elegant traveling? The original LCS-EJA, seems to be a good choice, but are there any better ones available?

The 3n was just within my budget, but I was tempted to break the budget, and buy the 5r or 6. I really hope, that I can take just as good pictures, as other 3n users here. I found someone shooting car pictures in here - uhh they looked very good IMO, compared to the price of the camera.

Thank you :)

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  6. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I have the 18-55 kit lens and I found that the wide images looked a bit flat and boring with it. So I bought the Sigma 19 (and a legacy 17mm f3.5 lens). The sigma is much better in terms of colour and contrast, also in sharpness. In that sense it works better for landscapes. It's also good for street scenes and I've photographed some flowers with it. So it works as a sort of walkabout lens.

If you like landscapes and won't miss the cash, then I can recommend the Sigma 19.

7. plex

plex TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 6, 2013
    I've just ordered it - at this price, and the publicity it gets, it can't go completely wrong :)

Now I'm ready to Brazil

From last year, with my old Nikon S8200...

DSCN0151.