Just been given some Petri lens ......

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mikecoffee, Jul 22, 2012.

1. mikecoffee

mikecoffee TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    Hi

new to forum, but currently a happy NEX 5n owner, but looking admiringly to you NEX 7 owners.

So my current favourite lens is the Helios 44m, i love the manual control.

A relative has given my three Petri lens

Petri 50mm

Petri 28mm MC

Petri135mm MC Petri 135mm f/2.8 MC M42 Lens Review

So I have an M42 adaptor for my NEX 5n for the Helios, but couldn't find one for Petri so my thought process would be to buy this

genuine petri bayonet to m42 mount adapter | eBay

Hopefully i've got my male/female the right way round ......

Anyway if anybody has any advice of experience please give me a shout, once I get the adaptor i will let you know if it works etc....

thanks

mike

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome Mike! I'm not familiar with Petri lenses but they seem to have an excellent reputation judging from that review. Hope you sort out the adapter. Looking forward to some Petri sample pics... :)

3. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome Mike

Cool! that's a brand you dont see too often and they're actually quite good. Their main competition was the Nikon SP and Canon P back in the 60's with Petri being just as good at a much cheaper premium (didn't stop them from going belly up though).

Try Fred Miranda or rangefinderforum, hopefully theyh'll have someone who shoots with it.

Happy hunting

4. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Welcome Mike,
    good to hear about Petri again.
    Cheers,
    Paul

5. mikecoffee

Jul 22, 2012
    Hi everyone

My adapter has been sent, so hopefully get it tomorrow and post some results, any special requests let's me know.

6. mikecoffee

Jul 22, 2012
    Ps as they are 49mm it means I got some cool old filters on them, which can be attached to my nex cameras.

7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    welcome my friend...

8. mikecoffee

Jul 22, 2012
    Hi Guys/Gals

just checking if anyone can help me with my logic, the lens above in theory should have fitted the ebay adaptor i bought as i've received the adaptor and it doesn't seem to fit! Grrr

If anyone can shred light in where i went wrong?

thanks

9. pictogramax

pictogramax TalkEmount Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Hello,

Petri made lenses in M42 screw-mount, but also in their own proprietary bayonet mount. Which one you have?

10. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I don't know anything about the Petris, but the adapter you listed says, "Not for infinity" on the page. So this adapter is the wrong way. It looks like there are adapters that go from M42 to Petri, which is the correct adaptation, but won't help getting them mounted on your NEX.

Could be useful to check some Pentax forums - There might be a way to remove the rear bayonet mount leaving an M42 screw. Or other people more knowledgeable on what the mount type really is and how to convert/adapt it.

11. mikecoffee

Jul 22, 2012
    Hi

they are all bayonet lens, so my theory was if i get the the adaptor it will turn it to a M42 mount which i could then mount onto my m42 adaptor?

12. pictogramax

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    If you got a Petri bayonet lens, you will need an adapter like this:

PETRI BAYONET MOUNT to PENTAX M42 SCREW MOUNT METAL LENS AND ACCESSORY ADAPTER | eBay

to "convert" it to M42 screw mount. Then you would "plug" it to standard M42 adapter (there are plenty, I have one from Fotodiox that I'm happy with).

If you got a M42 version of lens, then all you need is a M42 to NEX adapter.

It easy to tell which is which - M42 is basically a big screw and bayonet has three large "teeths".

13. mikecoffee

Jul 22, 2012
    will post some pictures

14. mikecoffee

Jul 22, 2012
    I have these petri bayonet lens and adaptor [​IMG]

but the adaptor doesn't seem to want to play with the lens......

And also this m42 adaptor [​IMG]

15. mikecoffee

Jul 22, 2012
    maybe there are different petri bayonet mounts? or maybe i'm trying to attach them incorrectly......

16. pictogramax

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    And what problems you are experiencing?

With the Petri bayonet adapter, the problem might be the pin that controls the aperture, that little metal tab that's sticking out. Does your aperture react to pressing it in? If I remember correctly, it should be pushed in and forced to stay that way prior to mounting the lens on the adapter. Some advised glue to keep it still, some sticking something around it for friction, some even to cut it off (but after that, or using glue, you can never use it again on film body or resell it as fully functional).

All this I say from memory when I was educating myself on M42 lenses before buying. I eventually decided to go only for older "manual" lenses (without that tab; the lens as yours is called "automatic" as the camera, by screw in the mount, controled the aperture). So I never head to deal with the problem actually, but others did and you can find more on the subject if you decide to follow.

For the second, I see no problem in theory. If you cannot screw the lens into adapter, try cleaning the threads on both lens and adapter (but off the camera, of course, to avoid dust falling inside the body). I had that problem with one of my Russian lenses that was dirty, but after thorough cleaning and careful bit-by-bit screwing everything went fine in the end.

Of course, I'm no expert - all of this is just guessing and thinking out loud.

17. pictogramax

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    And this is probaly THE place to get some help:

Index

18. pictogramax

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Sorry, I see now that the diameter of the adapter opening seems to be wider than M42 screws. What adapter is it? Can you link to place you bought it from?

19. pictogramax

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
  20. mikecoffee

Jul 22, 2012