Just an Observation

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Aug 16, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I recently picked up a Sigma 30/2.8 from a fellow board member. I had owned one previously so I know that it was a decent lens but coming from using a Fuji XE1 and XF35/1.4 I was surprised at how much more enjoyable using the NEX 6+Sigma 30 was. The combo is a good deal smaller and lighter, focuses a lot more quickly and reliably, the images are very sharp and under the right conditions the OOF areas can be quite pleasing. The Fuji XE1+XF35 is a fantastic combination to be sure but walking around today I wasn't finding myself missing it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    With your Nex 6, have you noticed an extended startup time? Also, do you have the new or old version? It's a fantastic lens for me, the only thing I can fault it on is startup time, which with my Nex 5t is around 6 seconds roughly, just long enough to miss a shot of my kids doing something spontaneously.

I agree, the OOF areas are pleasant, here's a recent shot I took with mine at f3.2
    DSC03256.JPG

And wide open at f2.8
    DSC03361.JPG

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Mine is the older style. I have a friend with a newer ART version of the lens but I actually like the feel of the older one better. Yes, the startup time is ridiculously long but it's easy enough for me to work around. Personally the long start up time is less frustrating than the way the Fuji XE1+35 would hunt when trying to focus. I missed more than a few shots because of that.

4. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    With the A6000 these lenses start up just as fast as anything else, which I haven't figured out, and unfortunately an A6000 isn't in my budget anytime soon.
    I agree, I'd rather have it take a bit to startup and then be quick on the focus than to have to deal with it hunting all the time.

5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Glad you're enjoying the lens!

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Very much so