Jupiter-9 85/2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by demiro, Apr 1, 2014.

1. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I'm thinking about picking up a Jupiter-9 85/2 for use with my NEX-6. It will give me a longer portrait lens, which is not something I've used much, but also an 85/1.4 equivalent with my Speed Booster (assuming I can use an M42>C/Y adapter to mount the lens on my C/Y>NEX booster).

Any thoughts on this lens? It's not pricey, at $150ish, but not dirt cheap either, so I figured I'd ask for some first hand feedback. Tried to search it but came up empty.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Like many Russian lenses the J-9 is a hit-or-miss proposition, you either have a really good one or a really bad one. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

After thinking about it I decided to go with a Minolta M-Rokkor 90/4 instead, but I'm not doing portraits with it and I shoot mostly off a tripod so I didn't need the speed. And I already had a Contax 85/1.4 anyway.

Sorry, that wasn't much help, was it? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    That is helpful Jim. Tells me I should be patient and buy one from someone on a forum whom I sort of "know" and trust, as opposed to picking a random ebay auction and hoping I get a good one. Of course that patience is often an issue when you get a lens in your head, so to speak.
  4. clockwork247

clockwork247 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 31, 2012
    i would spring for a 58 1.2 minolta md instead, that lens with a speed booster will give some serious speed lol.

or go for the canon/nikon version.

There's no reason go to russian lens, sure they're unique but chances of landing a lemon is too high.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    As already said Russian quality control can be all over the place, but dont let that stop you from trying them out. Find a keeper and it can easily become your favored and cherished lens.

Some others you might want to consider in this range are the Tair 11(20 aperture blades!) and the Helios 40-2. The Tair is a 135mm/2.8 and the Helios is an 85/1.5.

As for your Speedbooster, yes you can use an M42 adapter on a CY speedbooster to mount up screwmount lenses. I did it all the time on my NEX 7. HOWEVER, be careful that the lens you mount doesnt move so far back when you focus it that it comes in contact with the glass of the SB. I only encountered one lens that MIGHT have done this, but I never focused it back far enough to find out. The lens in question is an old Vivitar 35/2.8 screwmount made by Tomioka. There is no way to test this other then just eyeballing it. Anytime you mount a lens to the SB for the first time always make sure it is focused as far forward as it will go. Then once mounted focus it slowly back until it is all the way. Make sure it doesnt start to bid before it finishes its travel. If it does it may be hitting the speedbooster internally.

Since you have a CY speedbooster you might want to spend a little more and pick up one of the excellent Contax 85mm's in CY mount. I shoot Yashica ML glass mostly myself but there is one focal length in which Yashica did not make an ML, and that is the 85mm portrait lens. But the Contax Planar 85/1.4 and Sonar 85/2.8 filled this gap nicely.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    thanks f/otographer, very useful insights there. I will check out the lenses you mention.
  7. volvo240thebest

volvo240thebest New to TalkEmount

Jan 7, 2016
    surprised to see no love for the jupiter 9 on here!
    I have it and love it, great lens which can be had for little money (paid 70 eur for mine).
    sure it's heavy and bulky, and focusing is slow, but can make nice photos.
    I am awaiting the arrival of a pk to m42 converter to try it with a lens turbo, should work nicely.

• Like Like x 6
  8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Great shots Volvo:)
  9. volvo240thebest

volvo240thebest New to TalkEmount

Jan 7, 2016
  10. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Another image shot with the Jupiter 9 can be found on this forum at:

Fun with Adapted Lenses (Image Thread)

I bought mine 12-15 years ago on e-bay for even less. I suspect that the prices may have gone up in the last few years now that so many modern digital cameras can use them.

- Tom -
    • Like Like x 1