1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Jupiter-8 5cm f/2, Jupiter-8M 50mm f/2 and Jupiter-8M 53mm f/2 (Kiev/Contax)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by fotomachi, Apr 25, 2012.

1. fotomachi

fotomachi TalkEmount Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    .BE
    The Jupiter-8 was made with LTM and with Kiev/Contax mount.
    Let's reserve this thread for the Kiev/Contax versions :)

The next image was made with an Arsenal-assembled Jupiter-8 5cm f/2 П from 1955.

[​IMG]

You can read my newest blog entry about this particular lens.
    It also makes part of my "Conversation with my spouse"-project.​

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Can you post some shots of the mount? The Contax mount is unusual in that the standard (50mm) lenses do not have focussing rings,...the focus is adjusted on teh camera,...all the other lenses DO have their own focus rings. How do you focus these 50's?

3. fotomachi

Mar 12, 2012
    .BE
  4. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Hi Fotomachi,
    a very powerful image of the hands and B&W really adds 'gravitas'. Great stuff!

5. fotomachi

Mar 12, 2012
    .BE
    [​IMG]

Lens: ZK Zorki 5cm f/2 (ЗК Зоркий) for Kiev/Contax
    Camera: NEX-5

My blog entry: >> click here <<

This is a fine vintage lens, but it has its defects...
    The colours are not really good, especially not for landscapes.
    For portraits the colours are OK.
    It's more a B/W-type of lens.
    That is, however, my subjective opinion ;)

[​IMG]
    NEX-5 + ZK Zorki 5cm f/2 (ISO200, f/11, 1/250s)

[​IMG]
    f/22 - flare test

Out-of-focus rendering (pictures taken at minimum focussing distance):
    f-stops: f/2 - f/2.8 - f/4 - f/5.6 - f/8 - f/11 - f/16 - f/22

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I like the way it flares... so vintage, soooo retro-cinematic!!! Love it!

7. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    I think the build quality of older lenses is amazing. When you pick up a modern lens it feels too plasticky!

Having bought the NEX 7 I'm really pleased as it enables me to start trying out some fantastic legacy lenses at a reasonable price! Funnily enough, I didn't consider this benefit when deciding to buy the camera and it's only by reading this forum that has got me started. The first lens I'm after is the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar MC 135mm F3.5.

8. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Same here!

I expected my NEX-5N to be just a step up from compact cameras. The main reason I bought it is because of it's size as I no longer wanted to lug around bulky DSLR bodies and lenses. I had just purchased the Panasonic mirror-less but changed my mind at the very last minute when I noticed that the NEX had a 16mm wide angle (which was the deal maker for me). I had no idea how good the NEX sensor was at the time, so I'm glad I got it instead.

These days, my native lenses hardly get a chance on my 5N, lol... this 'legacy lens thing' is so much more fun :eek:

9. fotomachi

Mar 12, 2012
    .BE
    The "problem" is that so many lenses fit if you have the right adapter...

I'm personally very fond of Russian lenses, this for two reasons: I am a history buff and those Russian optics have a lot to tell; and secondly, the rendering of the images. The Kiev/Contax mount lenses are still reasonably priced because adapters are expensive, but I wouldn't wait another year anymore... Last week, I saw a Helios-103 including adapter for NEX offered for €50...

10. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    What a wonderful "problem" for all of us to enjoy! :) :)

11. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    I've got a horrible feeling that it's already getting too late to find bargains on eBay. As I mentioned, I've been after that Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar MC 135mm F3.5 but gave up when the bidding got to £186....too rich for my pocket!
    Cheers,
    Paul

12. fotomachi

Mar 12, 2012
    .BE
    You can still find bargains on ebay, but not for the items that everybody wants. The lens that you are looking for is on everybody's "I want" list ;)

13. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/abhishekray/9953633773/" title="polaroid 669 cold by abhiraay, on Flickr"> 9953633773_a8c950b92b_b. "1024" height="686" alt="polaroid 669 cold"></a>

• Like Like x 2