1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Jupiter 12 35mm f2.8 Old LTM Russian Lens (Compared with FE 35mm f2.8!)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by PotatoBoy, Feb 12, 2015.

1. PotatoBoy

PotatoBoy New to TalkEmount

Feb 12, 2015
    Hey guys, just got my Jupiter 12 from ebay yesterday, old Russian rangefinder lens. I thought it'd be fun to do a comparison between it, and a fairly well regarded modern lens.

Obviously in terms of pure performance its a silly comparison, but I thought people would be interested in how the old lens compares. Especially since it's so cheap, and easy to adapt on the Full Frame A7 series. It's something I haven't seen yet, and think it would have been helpful when i was making the decision to purchase. Hope you guys enjoy!

I'm not an expert in comparisons, but I tried my best to keep things comparable. They're just OOC JPEG files. Click the images to see them fullsize! (you may have to select 'Original' at the bottom right corner of the image):

i-XdWxxF9-L.
    Jupiter 12 35mm f2.8 @ 2.8 1/50th 800 ISO
    i-f7WhSR4-L.
    Sony FE 35mm f2.8 @ 2.8 1/50th 800 ISO

i-mddPHjN-L.
    Jupiter 12 35mm f2.8 @ 2.8 1/100th 800 ISO
    i-FFjp9SV-L.
    Sony FE 35mm f2.8 @ 2.8 1/100th 800 ISO

i-hF2kCr8-L.
    i-Zk8wWDJ-L.

What do you guys think? Although the Sony is much sharper, I think the images from the Jupiter 12 look quite pleasing. Plus its pretty fun to use and about 1/8th the cost of the Sony :p Let me know if you guys have any questions about the lens, i can try my best to answer. I don't think there's as much info about adapting it as there as there is for the Jupiter 8.

• Like Like x 4
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well first, welcome PotatoBoy! Are you from Idaho, by any chance? As for your comparison, I agree, those old Russky lenses are fun to play with. But your first two photos pretty much tell the story, don't they? Everything but the center of the frame on the Jupiter is, well, er... character? :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. PotatoBoy

PotatoBoy New to TalkEmount

Feb 12, 2015
    Haha thanks for the welcome, WoodWorks! Nope not from Idaho, but i do love potatoes. Yes, lens definitely isn't lacking in character :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. michaelfoto

michaelfoto New to TalkEmount

Jan 26, 2015
    Fyn, Denmark
    I made exactly the same comparason, and i fully concur.
    If you shoot the jupiter on a film Leica, the result is quite different. Her the Jupiter really shines, even in corner performance.

13361745895_e6e29f7537_o. Stavre pileallé by mgfoto2011, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  5. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Interesting,.......the J12 is the Soviet copy of the Ziess Biogon which was designed nearly a century ago. It's a good performer for general photography although Soviet quality was very variable. However, to properly see it side by side with the Sony you need to stop down a couple of stops when it will probably compare quite favourably........

What is really interesting is that, not only is the J12 NOT a retrofocus design, it also has that weird back element that virtually touches the film/sensor. From what we have been lead to believe there should be horrible phenomenas apparent, but actually it's very respectable.

The J12 is a TINY lens which weighs little and costs the same,....An excellent landscape lens when you are carrying everything over hard terrain....However, filters can be problematic due to the deepset construction.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Pretty much nailed it. A fun lens, but nothing close to the 35mm Sony.

And welcome.

7. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    jup12 wins the cool award, no contest :) the f/2.8 blurry field curvature on the sides adds emphasis to centered objects, which is something that you can't get with the fe35.

the michaelfoto pic indicates that it cleans up nicely on the sides when stopped down, what a cool shot.

thx for posting these pics.

8. michaelfoto

michaelfoto New to TalkEmount

Jan 26, 2015
    Fyn, Denmark
    I have to state that it is not only stepping down that makes the difference. It is mainly because oldfashioned film accepts a much steeper angle from the lens than the sensor, In case of the Jup 12 its so close to the film/sensor that it allmost touches.

9. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    yes, the wider the rangefinder glass is, the more problematic it is on these cameras... here is a wide shot of the jupiter 12 on an a7, still weak on the outer edges, but the aperture isn't listed: https://flic.kr/p/jAhcjQ