1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Jumping back in!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by teefin1, Feb 5, 2013.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    So i recieved my C3, after spending most of the day waiting for it, housebound!

[​IMG]

First impressions are that it looks a lot like the Olympus EPM1, so I thought I'd NEX it up a bit:

[​IMG]

I got to play around with it for about half hour before the school run and initial imressions are that its pretty good, considering its an earlier model. It appears to have around 1000 acutations and is in excellent condition, even came with a Lowpro bag and little tripod :)

The body feels good and solid, though the grip is modest in comparison to the later models.

Peaking is OK, not great like the 5n and F3 (and 7 for some) but its accurate, whereas I found with the 7 that it would outline focus but be OOF when opened on a computer screen.

Im really happy to have a NEX again and also to get the chance to use a couple of lenses that I bought around the time I sent my 7 back to Jessops (whew!) namely an MD fit 135mm 2.8 (not Minolta) and a Konica Hex 50mm 1.4. Couple of pics coming up. :)

2. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Im not sure how I feel about the 135mm 2.8. Its a difficult length indoors, doesnt gather enough light for my house and doesnt peak well at all, still, for a tenner its worth having in the bag and I will give it a spin outdoors soon, weather permitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Konica Hex 50mm 1.4 on the other hand is the perfect focal length for indoor portrait, gathers lots of light and whilst it doesnt peak as well as the Minolta's, gives lovely subject isolation; I love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and its sharp:

[​IMG]

A couple of gripes I have with the C3 are that the picture effects are only accessible through the shoot mode menu, and when using these effects you have no manual control at all, even flash is set to auto, so only fires if the camera says yes. Other than that, its cool.

3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Nice shots. I love the 50mm focal length. I also just purchase a 38mm lens for indoor shooting to give me a little more room.

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I love your younger daughter's portrait, and I quite find the C3 a very sexy looking little thing (much better than E-PM1 if you ask me, but then again I'm known as an Oly hater, lol). I notice we have the exact same DIY flash diffuser !
    I wonder how usable I'm gonna find it for my needs, and how fast it'll make me want to get a 7 again. Or not

5. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thank you. Kira looks a bit like an orphan; dirty face, stringy hair, gormless expression, poor little moo. I don't find it a lot different in use to the 5n really, mostly the Same custom options, apart from the picture effects, which I use sparingly anyway. I like the form factor too, it really is dinky. The shutter does sound like it fires twice, but I haven't noticed any real increase in shutter lag due it not having the electronic first curtain. I look forward to your impressions. :)

Oh, I saved the pic of your flash 'diffuser' from way back. Works great!

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I *never* use any picture effect, save the Pro Focus thing on my beloved X10 (I'm totally smitten with that thing !) so I won't miss it on the C3. I have a lot of loaner cams to ship back to their legitimate owners in the coming weeks, before I storm my own little brains and decide which system I want to invest the most in. But NEX is definitely in the cards since I've hung to quite a few lovely legacies.
    Oh BTW I feel your pain using a 135 indoor, it's definitely too long !! I've found that even a 85 is too tight for my home (and I do have a large living room). 55 seems about as tight as I want to use on APS-C. My 38 is still my most loved/used lens on NEX indoors.

And I love the grubby orphan looks, I feel it suits most kiddos ;) (maybe Kevin's son Julian and his regal expression would be the exception !)

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I like the C3. The only reason I sold mine was because I bought the 5n and didn't need two of them. The only reason I wanted the 5n was it could use the EVF (which I later found didn't work for my particular needs because of a vision issue on my part). In fact I think as a platform for manual focus the C3 has the advantage of better manual focus asset. The magnification goes up to 15x as opposed to 9.5x on the 5n. I also liked the seriously LOUD shutter sound. Makes me nostalgic for my old Konica T2. As for the 135...i feel the same. I had a really nice Konica 135/3.2 and it never quite worked for me EFL wise. I couldn't get used to it. I have a nice Rokkor 100/2.5 that suits me better.

Those are lovely shots, BTW...what in the world is the girl at the top eating? It looks like some manner of delicious, chocolatey, caramel goodness.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great to have you active

9. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Good pics! Lol, I had a smile too seeing the typical teenage healthy breakfast. Is that a Mars bar?

10. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    nice pictures!

11. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks guys, good to be back! It was a Cadbury Boost Casey was eating, super sickly peanut butter and caramel and chocolate thingy, but it was about 6pm Skipper, although im sure she wouldnt be adverse to eating one for breakfast either!

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Its good to have you back and congrats on the purchase ;)

Nice shots too!!!

13. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Beautiful Teefin1. Nice porteaits