Jumped into FF . . .

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by TonyTurley, Mar 31, 2015.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    . . . with an old film camera. My Konica Autoreflex T arrived yesterday. It's in great shape, especially for a nearly 50 year old camera. The 57/1.4 is clean and clear, and may some day find its way to an adapter on my NEX-6. Also got a nice Hexanon AR 40/1.8. I've read a lot of good stuff about that lens. The camera is a beast - there is a significant weight difference between the T and either my NEX-6 or my OM-D. I haven't put it on a scale, but it wouldn't surprise me if it weighs as much as both digital cameras combined.

I found an expired roll of Kodak Gold 200 in my photo box. Unfortunately, someone left the T's switch on, and the batteries are dead. I have a replacement set on the way. I also have a couple of rolls of Ektar 200 coming. I've always loved the rendering of film. Clinical sharpness can be great at times, but there is just something about the combination of film and an old lens. Maybe I'm just showing my age.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Hope to see the results soon. Sounds exciting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Have fun out there

• Like Like x 1
  4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Looking forward to it, guys. Film certainly has its drawbacks, as I have absolutely no clue how to develop it, but there seems to be a very strong market these days for businesses who develop and scan the negatives. The one thing film does impose is "get it right the first click" discipline.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Curious how you like it. How is the camera? Light seals and mirror damper OK? If the light seals have degraded into just a sticky little mess you run the risk of light leak onto your film so you'll want to keep the camera out of strong lighting. Some 10 years I've had all the light seals and mirror dampers of my cameras replaced, Nikon F3's and an FM at the time. I now have a number of Minoltas where only one still has functional seals and damper and unfortunately that's an X-300, certainly not the nicest Minolta.

6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The camera appears to be in good shape. No sticky messes that I've found. I'll be able to tell more about operation once my batteries arrive. Even if it doesn't work out, it will be an interesting conversation piece in my camera display. I was right about the weight. The Konica weighs 26 oz without a lens, the NEX-6 12 oz, and the E-M5 15 oz.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Would it be asking too much to see a picture, taken with your Nex of course, of this behemoth?

I wish I could afford to shoot film, but I'm enjoying trying to get the same 'look' out of my old lenses.

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Yes. but it will probably be late this evening or tomorrow afternoon before I can get to it. I don't plan to shoot a lot of film, and I'll just have the negatives scanned and only print those I really like.

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Here's a photo of the Konica with 57/1.4 next to the NEX-6 with a Pen F 38/1.8. The camera is in great physical shape, but the light meter doesn't work, even with fresh 675s installed. Granted, the batteries may be NOS that have been hanging on a shelf a long time, but no worries. I paid less for the T + 57/1.4 + 40/1.8 lenses than some on eBay ask for the 40 by itself. The lenses are in fantastic shape, so no big deal. My wife just rolled her eyes when I told her it was another display piece for my little camera museum. :D cameras.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The Konica sure is nice, but that Pen F lens cap beats everything, sheer beauty if you ask me (but you didn't :)).

11. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I'd be getting an adapter for those lenses so I could use them on my Nex if I were you.
    Nice looking camera, thanks for posting the photo.

12. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I agree ad. 2 of my 3 Pen F lenses have one of those caps.
    You're welcome. I already have Konica AR adapters for both the NEX and OM-D on the way. Can't waste such beautiful lenses. :D

13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Can't wait to see pictures of them mounted on your Nex and some photo's by same.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    Wow!! Looks like you got a great deal. Camera looks perfect. I had that same camera some 40 years ago. Traded it in on a Konica T4, looking for lighter and smaller. Still have it, along with several Hexanon lenses, which I use on my NEX6. I do remember seeing somewhere that the original mercury batteries are no longer available and that the replacements are slightly different (voltage??) and will not work. You can always shoot manually, though.

• Informative Informative x 1