July 12, 2014 - Full Moon / 'Super Moon'

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jul 12, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    July 12, 2014 Full Moon / ‘Super Moon’
    My first attempt at a Moon shot…it was just coming up from behind a tree line.

NEX-7 + Canon FD 400/4.5, Manual Mode, Spot Metering, ISO200, 1/125, F11

• Like Like x 6
  2. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And in this shot it has just fully cleared the tree line:

• Like Like x 8
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Experimented with adding a touch of color

• Like Like x 5
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    My attempts have not been so nice, but I also don't really have a lens for these.

5. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Cool! I will post mine attempts later. I need to learn that stacker thingy for more detail though :./

6. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    NEX-7 + Soligor 200mm 2.8

DSC09079-XL.

• Like Like x 6
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I had jotted down a reminder to try AMB (Anti Motion Blur...essentially stacking) on the NEX-7 but got so wrapped up in the execution of the moment that I forgot and just shot everything straight.
    ( NEX-7 + Canon FD 400/4.5, Manual Mode, Spot Metering, ISO200, 1/125, F11 )

8. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh I guess I can try those too lol
    I even tried with a cheapo 2x on my Vivitar 120-600mm and without the Lens Turbo so that was technically 900mm x 2 if my calculations are not wrong :D But it was too soft. I will try with a Canon 2x too just for fun. It really shows me how unstable my tripod/head is :/

9. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1405461772.639279.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 5
  10. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I went out on Friday, July 11, 2014, around 11:30 or so to try a few different things to capture the "Super Moon." While I knew that Friday was technically not quite truly "full", and still a shade waxing gibbous, weather reports for Saturday evening were not good.

Bear with me here... First I tried my Sony HX100V with its "30X" zoom to 810mm equivalent. Results were okay, but typically less sharp than the APS-C a3000 is capable of. Then I tried the a3000 with the SEL55210, with and without "Clear Image Zoom" on, and still I didn't feel I got close enough.

Then I brought out the "big gun"... literally, it's pretty big... the Celestron NexStar6SE. But this time I tried it without the 2X Barlow lens inserted on the T-adaptor. I had read that it might be hard to focus to infinity without it, but it turned out to be no different than with it, in my opinion. In fact, I seemed to actually get focus peaking to register on the edges of the Moon, which hardly did before. So, without it, rather than just capturing a quarter of the Moon's disc, I got almost the whole thing. So I guess with the 2X, it is something like a 3000mm, yikes.

I still wasn't quite satisfied with the results. Then I read that shooting the full or nearly-full Moon does not always produce shots with great detail. Because the light from the Sun is bouncing almost straight back to us, there is much less contrast and less shadow detail in the terrain than when the Moon is a crescent and the shadows are more pronounced. Sort of like the difference between a direct flash (and in the case of the Sun, the brightest in our Solar System) and a bounce flash.

But then I also read about focus stacking and I thought I'd try that. Since I was shooting with the 2 second delay, 3 image burst mode, I had three decent shots in short succession. So I popped those into Photoshop, aligned the three layers (since the delay between each was enough for the Moon to move a few pixels), and then "auto-blended" them. I then ran the resulting flattened, exported JPEG through a few contrast and lightness enhancements in iPhoto, a tiny crop to fix the edges from the alignment, and voila....

14663964854_c66ca90607_o. SuperMoon-7-11-14-Blend by SRHawk64, on Flickr
    (Sony a3000, Celestron NexStar 6SE 1500mm, f/10, 1/200, ISO 200.)

(EDIT: You may notice that things aren't quite in the same places as other shots. That's because the star diagonal prism on the back of the telescope flips the image vertically, and I neglected to flip it back. Sorry. Also, seems to look better on Flickr than here in the forum.)

I'm a bit more pleased with this. Still not as much detail as I'd like, but it works.

• Like Like x 5
  11. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Jealous! I was at my buddy's lake house on Sunday and was determined to get some supermoon shots. Had my Soligor 300mm and my Minolta 200mm (in case the soligor sucked) and a minolta 2x teleconverter ready to go. When I went out after dark (and after cleaning up from the BBQ), the moon was hidden behind the trees. By the time it was anywhere visible, the sky had opened up into a downpour! Anyway, hoping for better luck on August 10th!

-James

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just an FYI...if you haven't already thought of it, with that big sensor on your NEX-7, you can crop out the black, then resize it 200% (double size).

13. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    thanks- I took the shot handheld ( inside my car :) ) with the moon higher up in the sky. I did crop out all the black but wasn't completely happy with it. The detail was ok but would have been better had I used a tripod. I'll have to post that version for comparison.

Love the feedback though!

14. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    That is precisely what I am thinking on getting the A6000 now. After looking at some samples images and how much you can get when cropping, I was impressed by the 24MP sensors...and imagine the 36MP on the A7R! But for that it will take a LOT longer :D

15. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I just realized that I may have applied the wrong kind of stacking. I used focus stacking which combines the more focused parts of each image and masks the rest. I think there is another method of image stacking that averages the images to cancel noise and bring out detail, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. Post processing newbie here. ;)
    Thoughts?

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

16. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    No, what you did works fine. You'll just want to fiddle with the opacity of each layer mask so they're not at 100%.
    There are photoshop actions you can download that will do this automatically, but they're designed more for stacking up 100+ exposures. If you're stacking 3-4, just do it by hand. After I merge those layers I usually do 2 other adjustments at the end. I do "match color" and then "reduce noise".

• Like Like x 1