1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

JPG's look different in iPhoto/Safari/Preview...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by José De Bardi, Jul 14, 2014.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    OK, just noticed an odd problem! This sub-forum seemed most appropriate...

Here is a screenshot of a pic I took and edited, shown left to right in Preview (as exported 'current' JPG from iPhoto), Safari (as that JPG uploaded to Photobucket) and in iPhoto.
    ScreenShot2014-07-14at110225_zpsb017acc5.

As you can see the colours are way more saturated in the left/right images compared to the Safari one... I have no idea why, and I have actually never notice it before. The PNG screenshot is rendered the same in Safari as the original in iPhoto, as in correctly, so it must be something to do with Safari reading JPGs (I wasn't going to start doing screenshots of screenshots - that might cause some kind of quantum rift and I don't want to risk it!).

The image was edited a bit in iPhoto and a bit in Aperture (which I have done many times). And the fact Preview seems to render it the same as iPhoto suggests it is a Safari specific issue.

Any Mac users ever seen this? Here is the JPG shared from Photobucket, how does it look to you compared to the above screenshot when viewing in your browser, and if you download it?
    DSC02698_zpsa1192663.

Any help welcomed as this basically means what people see on the web is potentially very different to how I intended!

All I found on the subject was this http://www.quora.com/Digital-Photog...-color-spaces-look-undersaturated-on-browsers Which I didn't really understand!!

Attached Files:

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    There are probably two reasons to blame for this difference. First - there's only a very limited color palette available on the web. Adobe offers in their Creative Cloud the option to "only use web colors", so that you get identical results off- and online. Second, it seems like Photobucket is doing a very slight editing or compression on their side. Upload it to Flickr or something similar to see if this has any effects you don't like.

• Like Like x 1
  3. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Thanks. I use Flickr, but as it auto-adds everything to your photo stream without an option not to, I am reserving it for my crème de la crème of shots! I'll look into the web colours option on Adobe, seems a plausible explanation - thanks again :)

4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Seems the culprit is Photobucket!!

Here is a side by side of before upload and after download (in PNG to avoid the issue!)...
    ScreenShot2014-07-14at144239_zps1f6c45c1.

I'm gonna open a ticket with them and see what they say!

Attached Files:

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Perhaps Photobucket is dropping the color space, somehow changing it from say, "Adobe RGB" to "sRGB", which affects how the color gamut is displayed.

6. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I think you are right...

Here left to right is the un-uploaded original, the original re-downloaded in full res, and the downloaded 1024 version
    ScreenShot2014-07-14at161841_zpsa511e44d.

I realised my sharing options are set to share the resized 1024x768 version by default. As you can see above, the colour profile is not mentioned so maybe using sRGB as default not the Adobe as original, as well as them wiping all the other EXIF info which is pretty crap. I've added the above to the ticket I have opened with them...

Attached Files:

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    So they got back to me, kudos on the quick response time... Can't say I like the answer, but at least they are honest and it matches our investigation here so makes sense.

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Still galaxies better than what facebook does with photos.. Did you upload a photo to Facebook recently? I don't know, but that's pretty much the worst quality I've ever seen.

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Agreed. FB is awful. If i do post stuff I prefer to share a link to PB or Flikr for this reason. It just makes it look like your camera is 15 yrs old!