JOY...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
Joy is a three month old Maltese puppy that was recently surrendered to our Maltese Rescue California group. Why was she surrendered? Well, her owner didn't know that mouthing is typical puppy behavior and thought that Joy was vicious:hmmm:
20190813_JOY_3795.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
20190813_JOY_3796.jpg
20190813_JOY_3798.jpg

She is an absolutely adorable and well mannered puppy!

Attachments

Last edited:

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Such a pretty thing. What a shame that owners don't even take the time to research the animals they are supposed to love.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
You have 20 years on me, but we have already decided once our cats die (probably at least 10 years) that will be it for us. We cannot bear the thought of leaving beloved pets behind with who knows who to care for them after we die. It will be sad for us, as we have had pets of one kind or another most of our adult lives. Maybe we can consider volunteer work, like what you are doing. Great work.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
My wife volunteers at the local shelter, and we’ve always had shelter dogs living with us. We’re on #5 & 6 now. There are always plenty of mature dogs in the shelter, surrendered for a variety of reasons, and we’ll probably take in a couple of them the next time we find ourselves dogless. They’re house-trained, know a few commands, grateful as hell to get out of there, and probably won’t outlive us.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Yes we have almost always gotten our pets from shelters or other situations where they might have died or been euthanized otherwise. And we support local shelters monetarily. It has almost always worked out very well, though sometimes it gets expensive to get them back to health. But there are so many cats and dogs (and other animals) that need a home.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
Joy must take the record for our fastest adoption. We posted her on our rescue website at ten p.m and a previously approved adopter saw at one a.m, called us at seven a.m. and came by about noon to formalize the adoption... Happy adopter and happy puppy:dance4:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
You have 20 years on me, but we have already decided once our cats die (probably at least 10 years) that will be it for us. We cannot bear the thought of leaving beloved pets behind with who knows who to care for them after we die. It will be sad for us, as we have had pets of one kind or another most of our adult lives. Maybe we can consider volunteer work, like what you are doing. Great work.
Any rescue organization (cat or dog) depends greatly on foster volunteers. Some, more established, rescues are able to diffray all of the costs of the fostering. We supply food and vet care.
If a rescue with which you are working cannot diffray food, etc., and if it is a 503c3 (tax exempt by IRS) organization, a foster can deduct any costs of fostering (including 14-cents a mile for transportation) from income tax (depending if you itemize or not).
Fostering is a wonderful way to help needy animals and the rescue organizations. We would be able to rescue a lot more animals if we had more fosters.
Additionally, if a dog or cat seems appropriate for your lifestyle, normally the rescue group will give first choice in adopting to a foster.
We are fortunate in that our son and daughter love our animals just like theirs and they will inherit our big home and property in which to care for them...

MWhite

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
Richard, your work photographing these animals so that they can be more quickly placed is simply wonderful. I am sure that it is a labor of love, but it really is a true contribution. And you make great photos, as well!

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
Thank you Mike, as you guessed, this, as well as all the other tasks I do with our rescue, is a true labor of love.

Additionally, I have the system fine tuned so that both the shooting and the post processing is simple and fast.

My "studio" is a Lazy Boy recliner with a covered with a length of fabric (I have many colors of fabric). I sit on a roll around chair to lower me to the dog's eye level (when the dog is sitting up), yet still allow mobility. I use a softbox and a bounced hotshoe flash to light the dog. I will use whatever flash reflector/diffuser that I happen to have on the camera at the time. Since the flash acts only as fill light, the type of diffuser is not critical.

recliner.JPG

I use a Sony A6400 and a 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens. Previous to the Sony, I shot with a Canon DSLR camera and a Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens. However, I really like the Animal Eye-AF of the Sony for shooting dogs - especially bouncy puppies like Joy. It is a "joy" to have the camera select and focus on the eyes, rather than trying to focus and recompose while a puppy is wiggling around.

I shoot a WhiBal card to get my color balance and a board for the dog's name which is handy when shooting several dogs at a time. Especially dogs that are similar in appearance. However I will also often use the white coat of a dog to get my white balance. I shoot in RAW, open with Adobe Camera RAW and use Photoshop and NIK Software Suite for editing. I have never gotten into using Lightroom although I have it within the Photoshop CC subscription.
Whibal.jpg

My wife often controls the dog from the rear of the recliner using a thin show lead which I will clone out. I am liberal with treats and the use of squeak toys to get the dog's attention.
Show Lead.jpg

The major aim is to get pleasing expressions and relaxed poses of the dog. The little guy above was totally frightened. It took a second shoot before he was relaxed.

I am fortunate in that I have photographed literally hundreds of rescue dogs. So I have developed shooting and editing techniques over the years.

Here is a link to my smugmug rescue gallery...
https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Pets/MALTESE-RESCUE-CALIFORNIA/i-wLmxdfT

Attachments

Last edited:

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Rookie
Great photography and great work!

I don't do dogs, but I have three cats, none of whom were actually invited. The father was "invited" by my previous semi-wild; the mother was invited by the father, and my avatar is the only survivor of their three kittens (sadly, we have vicious street dogs in this part of the world) .

People who do not want to be chewed, scratched, etc, should simply stay away from animals.

Keep up the good work, it makes the world a better place. :thumbsup:

MWhite

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
Thank you - every good photo gets a dog closer to adoption...

BTW Mike: How do you like your 24-70 f/4.0 FE lens?
Short answer: I like it quite a lot.

Longer version: When I decided to switch to Sony from Pentax, I was drawn to the idea of full-frame at a lighter weight than Pentax could offer. Because the 24-70 is abut 1/2 pound lighter than the 24-105 I got it when I purchased the camera. It is also a similar effective length to the 16-45mm I used on my APS-C Pentax. Although I may have a good copy, it seems to me acceptably sharp even at 24mm where it is supposed to be weakest. All of the photos that I took on a recent trip to Michigan were taken with the 24-70 and seem to me to be just fine. I haven't sharpened them beyond LR's default. There were occasions, however, when I wanted more length so I used a store credit to buy the 24-105. It probably is sharper than the 24-70, but not overwhelmingly so. I also like the focus button on the side, which the 24-70 does not have. (I don't understand why the Zeiss lenses don't have this; it is very useful.) My original thought was to sell the 24-70 in order to avoid duplication, but so far I haven't. My current notion is that it will make a good APS-C lens (35-105 equivalent).

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I just purchased a 24-70mm f/4 Vario-Sonnar on eBay at quite a good price. I agree that the 36-105 equivalent would make a good lens on my Sony A6400 or A6500, especially for shooting people. I am guessing that the crop sensor might eliminate some of the corner problems experienced wit this lens on full frame sensor cameras.
Anyway, I got it at such a good price that I can always sell it back on eBay for little if any loss. Since I shoot stills only and use two cameras in tandem; I plan on using either a combination of the 24-70mm with my Rokinon 12mm f/2 or with my 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens...
I expect the lens to arrive late this week.
I am switching from Canon to Sony little by little. I just sold my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens which I dearly love and which I used before I bought the A6400 (Animal Eye-AF is great) for all my dog images...
I think though, that I will remain with Sony APSC gear because of the weight reduction. In fact, I just purchased a Sony Nex-7 and it is off being converted to full time infrared. Matter of fact, the 24-70mm f/4 is one of the lenses that Kolarivision states is good for IR shooting (no hot spots)...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I was not thrilled with the image quality of the 24-70mm f.4 Vario Sonnar lens. It was O.K. but, didn't ring my chimes to any great degree. However I purchased it at such a low price that I didn't lose any money in the resale.
I decided on a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens as my go-to medium focal length zoom for my A7iii and I am waiting for its arrival.
I have plans to shoot an Oktoberfest celebration, this Saturday and will be using the Tamron on my A7iii to cover it...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom