1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Joby Gorillapod Micro 800

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bimjo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I've been looking for a small tripod to use for those times when I have the camera down in the weeds and have trouble hand holding it while trying to compose/focus/trip the shutter/not fall over.

I considered a beanbag and rejected it. I looked at the segmented Gorillapod and decided against it. I looked hard at a small tabletop tripod (both with and without a ballhead) and… nope.

So then I discovered the Joby Gorillapod Micro 800. It's a small tabletop tripod, but unlike the others that are very short it has a built in ball that allows up to 36° of adjustment. Hey! This looks promising! So I ordered one. It arrived in the mail today.

Here's the clamshell package. It's held closed with tape so it opens very easily.
    joby01.

This is the bottom, folded view.
    joby02.

And the top, folded view.
    joby03.

And it looks like this opened up. The legs rotate around the ball.
    joby04.

And these two shots show the range of movement of the ball.
    joby05.
    joby06.

Sorry for the pic quality of the rest of these, I had to use the phone since my wife had her camera with her.

Opened up and supporting the camera.
    joby07.

Folded against the bottom of the camera.
    joby08.

And finally a couple of shots with the L-bracket attached (like it usually is) to the camera and the Micro 800 attached to that. The cool part is it will mount in either portrait or landscape mode.
    joby09.

joby10.

joby11.

This is a keeper. Small, light, compact, and it allows some adjustment. And it's only $20. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Wow...very cool. I was thinking about something very small to throw in my bag for times when I don't want to lug my full size tripod.

3. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Impressive. Love the engineering effort that has gone into this.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, it's pretty slick. :)

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    The idea isn't new but it is very good. Leica has made 14100, for example. I am trying to find similar but slightly larger tripod for macro work. Joby is quite affordable when you compare it to the Leica one.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Oben makes a larger version of this without the tilt ability. There's another one that looks exactly like the Oben, but costs more. The name escapes me at the moment.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that these are variety 'legs spread out' and not 'legs rotate out'. The other brand may be Manfrotto.

There are quite lot table top microphone stands with 'legs spread out' design. They may be very nice with flashes but I doubt that these will work with camera. I have been looking that copy stand for some time:
    Copy Stand for Camera DSLR Photography Product Shoot | eBay

I think that basic idea is very good but execution of it isn't.

8. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I'd actually like to get a mini-tripod with extendable legs and an actual ballhead. I love my Manfrotto, it's solid as a mountain but as heavy as one too. I'd like something I can lash to my camera bag and not be too heavy or unwieldy.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The great thing is how small it folds into the body when not in use.

10. MySonyNex-5R

MySonyNex-5R TalkEmount Regular

Feb 20, 2013
    Morgan Hill, California
    PhatMR
    Got mines a month ago and I love it. Specially when I don't wanna lug my normal tripod around.