• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Japan 2011

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Hi folks

I'm back, time goes so fast and I'm already back after 2 weeks and I have to say that no words can describe how beautiful the country is and how warm and friendly the people are and that no amount of photos no matter how beautiful can do it justice. I am by not any means a religious person but there is something undeniably spiritual with the place that cannot be described by words and can only be felt by being there.

Regarding photographic matters I have learned something in my recent trip, When on your honeymoon and your wife stands and asks you "What do you think?" while showing off her new lacy lingerie, answering "I think the NEX 7 first curtain electronic shutter is a really good idea" is the WRONG RESPONSE, I really did think that my entire camera gear would go flying out of the 27th floor balcony of the hotel into the japanese night. Anyway....without going into too much detail, I didnt get to use any other lens during my trip like I have originally intended and ended up shooting with just my 50mm and I really did give it an intense work out, I shot portraits, architectures, candids, street, low light, landscapes, etc..about about 18gb worth of photos I'll post them here as well as in our flickr channel after I process the raw files in LR3.

Although I did shoot a lot of different photos, I did try a lot of the different temples, castles and shines throught Japan, but there are simply too many of them to cover in my very limited stay. In Kyoto alone there are more than a thousand different shines and temples not inluding the minor deites and the less interesting locations, counting the gardens, statues, landscapes, architectures, etc.. there is just way too much to shoot in so little time.

So with that said I am already planning my trip next year back to Japan, I am still deciding if I should go to the same places I've been recently and go to the places I missed or if I should go to somewhere totally different, I'll decide closer to the date.

I'm just settling down after a long trip and as soon as I'm settled I'll start posting some of the photos.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Phoenix,

welcome back! Nice story. The part with your wife ... she don't seem to understand your passion. :D I think if I just got a NEX-7 and be in a similar situation, I would have reacted about the same, without realizing it's the wrong time for it. ^^

As for the photos: Can't wait to see them! Japan is one of the countries I absolutely need to fly to.

Did you shoot mostly with your NEX-7 and the Sony 50mm 1.8? If it's not too much asking for, could you write some lines about the lens? I (and many others here) are very interested in the lens and it would be great to hear something regarding build quality (the 30mm seems to be worse than the kit lens), handling, AF-speed and IQ.

Don't hurry. Sleep a while, look at the photos with your family and friends and have much fun! We can wait - some days. ;)

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
fun

Glad you had fun, and some good stories to go with it.

You mean she was not thinking about the new line of NEX 7 on your trip as well. Might have made a mistake.;)

Seriously though, my wife does not get the whole obsession with my camera either. She does appreciate when the pictures turn out well though.

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Hahaha, I hear ya Dave, I am exactly in the same boat.

@Poki, I wasnt shooting with the Nex 7, I was just reading an article from a magazine when she was asking me. I shot the entire trip with a Nex 5 and a 50mm legacy lens

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Oh, my mistake. Well, the NEX-5 with the 50mm Rokkor is also a nice combination. And 14 MP are much nicer to process on my 2,5 year old MacBook Pro than 24 MP files ... :)

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
14 MP are much nicer to process on my 2,5 year old MacBook Pro than 24 MP files ... :)

Yeah, I'm in a pickle as well, I might have to upgrade my PC to be able to process 24 mp files, I'm already having trouble with the current 14 mp files as my computer is ancient, I might get rid of the desktop altogether and just get an affordable notebook that will let me run LR3 and is able to process 24 mp files.

Latest threads

Top Bottom