Jackpot !

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Here's what persistence, a bit of luck and $20 can bring, courtesy of CL:

From left to right:

Kiron 80-200/4.5 Macro

Kiron MC 28/2

Minolta MD 50/1.7

Kiron MC7 2x Teleconverter

Optically, all seem to be in perfect condition.

There's some other old stuff (a flash, film camera, old bag & bunch of manuals) but it's going to be given away.

From what I can see, optically the lenses are clean. The aperture ring on 28 mm feels a bit sticky at f2 but moves freely after that. The Kiron zoom is a bit dirty on the outside, as if it spent quite a bit of time being carried around. The focus action feels a bit too light, not too well dampened - but this may be just the way it was built. Can't compare the IQ to MD 70-210/4 as it's raining outside, but from some unscientific shots in house they are close. It's shorter too, so that with adapter mounted it's about the same length as MD without one; sadly, it doesn't feel any lighter. I will see if the Kiron is easier to use handheld due to shorter length alone. At worst, I have a $5 lens to play with. Or some trade / eBay funds.

I think my GAS is fully satisfied now !
  2. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012

^^until it hits again. I don't think the GAS is ever satisfied, lol :D
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Nice haul

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TalkNEX mobile app
  5. lordkifar

lordkifar TalkEmount Regular

May 8, 2013
    Great find and what a price.
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    That's a steal for a Kiron 28/2. Please post some results from it! No pressure :).
  7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks. Honestly I was very surprised to discover that it's a well respected lens, when I looked it up last night; I was mainly after the other three items.

I will try it out when, if ever :( , it stops raining, but I'd be very surprised if it was better than Sigma. But, who knows.
  8. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Well done, great catch. These lenses will serve you well.

Lens lust is by far the worst form of GAS. For most other gear, such as bags, tripods, straps, battery grips, filters, two or three versions or copies are good enough.

For lenses, two or three versions or copies, is nothing but ridiculously inadequate. There really should be psychiatric diagnostic criteria for lens lust.

But, as I famously said the other day, I am beginning to feel satisfied. I haven't looked at lens ads in a while and today I an picking up my only outstanding delivery, a Tokina 17/3.5.

Touch wood.
  9. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    One of the great advantages of using legacy lenses is that they cost peanuts compared with modern glass. So it's hard to resist the urge...

Plus, no worries taking that $5 lens to say a kayaking trip. If I could only find an $10 Nex body to go with it ;)
  10. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    True. But it's not just the money. It's also the time and energy you spend on looking for lenses. It all adds up...

But now I really feel that I have the gear I need to get me through the summer. From now on, it will be about taking photos!
  11. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I definitely will. I am running around most of the weekdays, so I don't expect to be able to do much until the weekend.

The first impression is, this is quite a sizeable and solid piece ;) makes Sigma 30 look like a bottle cap. Which is more a praise of Sigma, I guess...

I hope it has some serious bokeh.
  12. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI

Will start Kiron 80-200/4.5 thread, too.
  13. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Done with both.

The 28/2 is definitely a keeper. The images straight out of camera appear soft and lacking in contrast, but after simple clarity and vibrance adjustment they really "pop" and have a very nice feel to them. I should use my Sigma 30 more, to compare. I also should see if I can adjust some setting in NEX to get more useable JPEGs out of camera with these legacy lenses, as it seems that I am doing the same adjustments over and over.

The Kiron 80-200/4.5 is not bad, but it seems that Minolta 70-210/4 is sharper and has more definition. Of course, the only time I really used the Minolta, it was a very bright and sunny day and I kept high shutter speeds, while Kiron was used in a forest on an overcast day. So the jury is still out... but at least, it's not an outright dog.

This gives me even more incentive to hunt for old lenses. I am very satisfied at this point !
  14. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    wow great buy, congratulations, sometimes tends to have a little luck to get a good deal of old lenses, a lot of people do not know the value and quality of legacy glass.