1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I've finally got all the lenses I want....yeah right!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kiwi Paul, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I have finally got all the lenses I want or at least need so that's it, now I can just get on with it and take photos and never be distracted by lens lust again!!! :2thumbs:
    Well that's the theory, but I think we all know that's never quite how it works out in the 'real world'. :doh:

Has anyone here actually achieved lens nirvana and is 100% content with what they have, never to buy a lens again? :confused-69:

I think I may be content for a while but will find an excuse to 'upgrade' or find a reason that this or that lens really will benefit me, does it ever end or are we all a bunch of gearoholics?:biggrin:

Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Posing the question is answering it :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Being happy with what you have is key. Still there is nothing wrong with desiring something new.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using TalkEmount mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Given my budget? Yes. 100% content.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The secret to photography nirvana is to get out and shoot more often and pursuing content that will inspire you. Not in the gear.
    IMO, we don't make enough time for what we desire to do, and we compensate with desires to have.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I would say almost, I get tempted to but an ultra wide but I had a Sigma 15-30 on a 5d almost never used it so no point going wider than 24, I have the 55-210 for the Nex6 I don't use it enough to get one for the A7. The only lens I think of getting is the 24-70 f4, alas I can't carry the 2.8 for long enough or I would get that. I have enough primes that cover my usage and cancelled an order for the 85mm Batis as I realised it would not get used enough. I will have to sell my 16mm as it won't be used once I get round to buying the Zeiss Sony zoom.
    WNG is right more time taking photographs is more important and money is always worth spending on going to art galleries and buying art books from all forms of artist lens based or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh for God's sake, Will! My wife might read this! :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Andromeda143

Andromeda143 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 19, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia
    Clive Dickinson
    I am as guilty as the next person of wanting to 'upgrade' or of coveting better lenses. The truth is that I had good Canon cameras (5D Mk II, 550D etc) and wonderful L-glass lenses, yet I now take better pictures with my A7RII and a set of Minolta AF prime lenses. I would love the Batis or Loxia lenses or the new G Master lenses, but 1) my skills (or lack thereof) probably do not justify paying the price for them and 2) I cannot afford them on my retirement income. It is lovely to dream and drool over the newer releases, but there are so many photographers who can take better pics than I do with older and less capable equipment than I have.
    All in all, I am happy and think we are very fortunate living at this time with the wide choices available both of cameras and lenses.
    Nevertheless, it doesn't stop me wanting the new Batis 18mm one of these days.:thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It's really a good thing that the FE lenses are so expensive. Knowing that I can't afford them allows me plenty of time to (eventually) construct an impregnable argument against their purchase. That Loxia 21, for instance? Completely beyond my means. And superfluous, since I already own the 16-35. What would it add to my capabilities?

Impregnable, right?

Right?

• Like Like x 2
  10. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Hi Im Søren and Im a gearoholic. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm on the "can't afford the lenses I want" camp so I do what I have with the cheap equipment I have. That doesn't stop me from dreaming of the lenses I desire so yeah, I'm a gearholic as well :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Andromeda143

Andromeda143 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 19, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia
    Clive Dickinson
    Maybe we should start a 'Gearaholics Anonymous' Club. In fact, I am beyond that. I am a gadget freak. This extends to computer gear and just about anything technical. I guess the art part of photography is what keeps me somewhat sane. If I weren't completely devoid of artistic talent, maybe the 'gear' wouldn't loom so large in my thinking. When I see others achieve with ordinary gear what I struggle to achieve with superior gear it makes me a little envious. However, we each do what we can with the talents we have. Photography is a great leveller that way. Just maybe....one day I will create a masterpiece with my flawed gear... ;)

13. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

For me, it isn't even the native lenses. It's the classic lenses that create for me a sense of appeal. I love the idea of being able to go out and shoot with just a trinity of FD L glass one day and then the next take a trinity of the best of OM lenses or the best of Nikkor AI-S's.

You'll note that I'm nearly there for FD & OM. I just need a FD50L and an OM 90 or 100mm. I don't expect I'll ever get around to Nikon...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. ArendV

ArendV TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I am very content with all the lenses I have, but 100% :shakehead:
    Not that I need more, I could definitely do with less - but it is always nice to try something new old (mf legacy lenses).

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Lots of interesting comments! Last November, I converted to Sony. My initial outlay for my A7ii and 55 F1.8 was almost $2000m(both were used). I just traded my old Nikon D60, 2 kits lens, and a 50 for the 28 F 2. My plan it to add a zoom (70-200 or equivalent).

My other hobby is guns! Like photography this is an expensive hobby! The CEO and president of our family thinks I have sufficient numbers! :shakehead: :026:

Typically, as long as I do not spend too much time on these forums, my got to have it syndrome does not rear its ugly head!:eek:

Better go shoot!!!!!!!;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Errrrm... with cameras? :eek:

17. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Typically, I have both with me! South Florida has some unsavory folks who have no reservation about relieving you of your possessions!

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    As long as you don't mistake your gun for a camera when shooting portraits

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Typically, I hand carry my camera so unless I'm in a very very bad life threatening situation things will remain separate with my weapon in it a holster where it belongs!

20. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Somehow one could see it as a blessing having bought into a system with limited lens and accesory offerings.

• Like Like x 1