1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I've defected from Nikon...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by nightcapphoto, Jun 28, 2013.

1. nightcapphoto

nightcapphoto TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Columbia, SC USA
    Stewart Grinton
    Well, I've mostly defected from Nikon. I still use a DSLR at work but I have sold my personal D7000 and Sigma 150-500 to fund my adventures with the NEX system. After weeks of lurking here and copious hours reading websites on sony mirrorless tech I bit the bullet. Bought a NEX-6 body and am waiting for an 18-55mm lens to arrive. Thinking about the Lens Turbo to use with Nikon glass I haven't gotten rid of yet.

I'll be using my NEX-6 for family shots and astrophotography. Excited to use a smaller and more compact device without sacrificing IQ.

It's nice to be here.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome ;)

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to both the forum and the NEX. Even after 19 months of ownership my 5N still astounds me with the image quality it can produce if I do my part. :)

4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Brands are not important. It's only about what the photographer can do.

5. Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    Hey your story sounds very similar to mine! Am still to sell my D7000 and still have a couple of Nikkor lenses left, but they'll be gone soon too. I went to NEX mainly for portability and convenience.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome. Hope to see some great images soon.

What do you do that requires a camera at work?

7. nightcapphoto

nightcapphoto TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Columbia, SC USA
    Stewart Grinton
    I am an all-around media producer for DNR in South Carolina. Which means I do everything from sitting in blinds for wildlife video to photographing fisheries biologists electro-shocking streams to PSAs about drinking and driving to looong board meetings that requiring live streaming on the internet. It's something different everyday. A dream job of sorts when it comes to media work in my part of the country.

But lots of my time these days is devoted to my young family (wife and twin girls). I actually only work 3 days a week. The rest of the time I'm a stay-at-home dad.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I didn't defect - I combined! ;)

If your Nikon lenses have aperture rings, they should work very nicely with a cheap adapter. (Thus far, rather than go the speed booster / lens turbo route, I have elected to embrace the crop factor for longer shots, and use e-mount for wide angle.)

9. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC