• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

It's official - Nikon announces their mirrorless is on the way

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
The battery capacity does have me wondering: did Nikon do most of their designing before the Sony A9/A7riii/A7iii came out, or did they hobble that aspect of the Z system deliberately? (If it's the latter and they're still trying to herd pro user toward the DSLRs, who is this new Z system supposed to be for?)
Battery life was never a deal breaker with me but I know Sony got a lot of flak for it before they "fixed" it. It just seems baffling to me that someone would be diving in to this market now with such an unnecessary handicap.
R&D product cycles take ages, so it's likely things like these were set long ago and no one reconfigured the design later to take account of the launch of the A9 (which would be the earliest clue a bigger battery was coming from Sony). I don't mind the smaller battery per se, either, but for Sony, don't forget it's precisely the bigger battery that accounts for the majority of weight difference between the mkII and mkIII cameras. Nikon managed to be heavier with the smaller battery. That's the baffling part for me.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Well basically the most sought-after features that A7III finally addressed - and convinced me this was a no-brainer for upgrade - were:

1) Dual SD card slots
2) Bigger battery
3) Joystick
4) Touchscreen (badly done sadly)

Somehow, Nikon managed to omit the first 3. The first three are really important for the wedding photog segment who do use these cameras professionally, and I suspect are the bulk of this market (they are also sticklers for Eye-AF, again which Nikon don't yet offer).

I think the Z6/Z7 have a joystick...

1825432-thumb.jpg

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
If you're a nikon shooter, with a bunch of nikon lenses at hand, it's an attractive product. (Except you have to buy a $300 adapter, that really should've been a negligible purchase).

Otherwise, it's kind of just there. For the same price, you can get an A7iii with Eye AF, dual card slots and better battery life.

If you have no nostalgic attachment to Nikon, you probably don't want this.

Edit: I should add that it is THE alternative to Sony, at least until Canon puts a mirrorless system out. It will gain some sales due to that alone.

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
R&D product cycles take ages, so it's likely things like these were set long ago and no one reconfigured the design later to take account of the launch of the A9 (which would be the earliest clue a bigger battery was coming from Sony). I don't mind the smaller battery per se, either, but for Sony, don't forget it's precisely the bigger battery that accounts for the majority of weight difference between the mkII and mkIII cameras. Nikon managed to be heavier with the smaller battery. That's the baffling part for me.

I would also wait before judging battery performance based on CIPA rating. They seriously need to update their algorithms for modern use. Their numbers have become so out of step with real-world usage that it should be ignored. Look at the Z battery ratings vs actual ratings. SMH

Already a tester at Dpreview, using the Z7, said “In normal use we’ve got 1600+ shots and some 4K clips out of a single charge. It’s not DSLR level, but it’s a lot better (as always) than the bare CIPA figure might suggest” (link to that comment).

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Once you enter adapter land, Sony has access to both Canon and Nikon lenses, as well as its own A-mount glass.

Adapted Canon glass on the telephoto isn't all that great and who's to say Nikon won't eventually get AF adapters for Canon EF glass. Nikon is starting at a much stronger position for their 1st FF mirrorless camera with a lot more momentum going for it.

Last edited:

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
I would also wait before judging battery performance based on CIPA rating. They seriously need to update their algorithms for modern use. Their numbers have become so out of step with real-world usage that it should be ignored. Look at the Z battery ratings vs actual ratings. SMH

Already a tester at Dpreview, using the Z7, said “In normal use we’ve got 1600+ shots and some 4K clips out of a single charge. It’s not DSLR level, but it’s a lot better (as always) than the bare CIPA figure might suggest” (link to that comment).
Agreed, but that's exactly what we said about the A7 batteries for ages before too, and I'm assuming the difference isn't far off the original A7 battery - which everyone panned.

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
Agreed, but that's exactly what we said about the A7 batteries for ages before too, and I'm assuming the difference isn't far off the original A7 battery - which everyone panned.
I don't know of anyone that got 1600 shots + video on original A7 so I don't understand.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Well both the A7s and Z#s seem to surpass their CIPA ratings. I have got 1k shots at event shooting from a single A7 battery, but not with any video thrown in. Yeah, it's not 1.6k shots, but then it did exceed the CIPA rating by about 3 times.

DPR now has a pretty nice article out of their initial assessment.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
From the Nikon specifications, the Z6/7 will record 15 minutes of 4K video on a full charge. That should serve as a hint of its battery life under continuous load.
NOTE: Looks like Nikon press release made an error and has corrected the above to 85 minutes of video recording from a full charged battery!

I assume the optional battery grip is Nikon's solution to battery life just like Fuji's. I believe their strategy is to allow backwards compatibility for Nikon DSLR owners.

The single card slot was a glaring mistake.
There was no report if the bodies have a data bus port anywhere. If they implemented one, then a 2nd card slot could be added to the optional battery grip, that's still under development.

The limited buffer of about 23 compressed RAWs, an obvious negative.

The touch screen being disabled of touch focusing, when you have your eye up to the EVF, is a major blunder. Must use the joystick.

No Eye AF. This is major for some shooters. We can't expect every company to be able to reverse engineer this feature.

The EVF is superior. But there was a report of a 1 sec. lag switching from LCD to EVF.
The weather sealing.
The IBIS is appearing to be more versatile in video thanks to the larger mount.
As a note, the bodies are heavier, because they are larger than the current A7 series. Those with larger hands will be happier.

I like the cameras, but not enough to sway me to buy one. Not a heavily invested Nikon owner.

The one thing that is a plus about the E-mount, is that it's shared between the APS-C and full-frame bodies. Having both allows the same lenses and adapters to be shared between the two if one owns both. The smaller size of the NEX and a6xxx cameras come in very handy and convenient for certain situations. Unlike APS-C based DSLRs.

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I think I noted elsewhere that Nikon is also not sharing specs on the new mount. So 3rd-party lenses will have to be reverse-engineered, and 3rd-party adapters will likely be sparse, especially chipped or AF adapters. If you are all-in on Nikon glass, ok, or Nikon decides to make adapters for other mounts (unlikely). Otherwise you are talking about buying all new/used lenses. Switching systems can be expensive.

soeren

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Soeren
Well since my afd lenses won't af with the Z's they offer me nothing over the sony alternatives.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think it's a capable offering, and we do live in a world where there are very few "bad" cameras released. So those who want to stick to Nikon will continue to do so, and those who feel no compunction to move will also continue to do so. As a Sony user, I don't see anything attractive about it, certainly no case of grass being greener on the other side. It has some advantages, sure, but nothing critical.

A good question is where that leaves Canon, who have traditionally released cameras in even more incremental steps than Nikon, never mind Sony. It would be great for all of us (i.e. camera tech) if they did actually pull the rug out from under Sonikon :)

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
To be honest, I'm really curious about that 14-30 lens... Wish Sony had a lens like that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom