• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

It's official - Nikon announces their mirrorless is on the way

I do still prefer Nikon colors and lenses.
I always wonder how much of the differences in color rendering of cameras can be eliminated by profiling the camera. Once upon a time I had a Panasonic G1 and I never got the colors right, so ultimately I bought a Munsell Colorchecker chart and made a custom camera profile for Adobe Camera Raw and after that I was perfectly happy. Since that experience I always use my own profiles for the cameras I own, including my main camera of this moment, the A7R2. I especially used to hate the Adobe Standard profile, the new Adobe Color is more to my taste but I still prefer the home-made profiles.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'd be interested to see how well the new Canikon ML FF bodies handle M-mount lenses, wide angles without smearing or the need to do Kolari surgery like I did on my A7R. I will probably have to rent a body sometime down the road to find out, assuming someone makes an adapter.

I wonder if Canon will come out with another mirrorless mount to accomodate FF, utilize the M mount or just remove the mirror using the existing EF mount? It'll be interesting to see what strategy they go with.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
It might be the Canon ML (EOS-M) mount has a throat diameter large enough for FF, just like Sony's E mount. Edit: It has a throat diameter of 47mm, 2mm smaller than Sony E. Same 18mm flange-back distance as Sony though. I think I read somewhere that Nikon's Z mount (or whatever it will be called) is only 16mm flange-back distance.

I assume by M-Mount you mean Canon's not Leica M?

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I wonder if Canon will come out with another mirrorless mount to accomodate FF, utilize the M mount or just remove the mirror using the existing EF mount? It'll be interesting to see what strategy they go with.
It is quite noteworthy how Nikon has finally moved on from F mount for their MILC. (They chose the path of legacy compatibility during the AF revolution of the 1980s and took a hit for that. I guess they won't be repeating that move this time around.)
If Canon stuck with their existing reflex mount for their new MILC they would now be the only ones to do so. I'm sure it would please those who have lots of EF lenses. For my part, I think it would be foolhardy to forge ahead into the 2020s with one foot still stuck in the film era. (Some folks may gag at the prospect but AFAIC a good OEM adapter could ease the transition for many.)
I guess we'll find out, soon enough!

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
It might be the Canon ML (EOS-M) mount has a throat diameter large enough for FF, just like Sony's E mount. Edit: It has a throat diameter of 47mm, 2mm smaller than Sony E. Same 18mm flange-back distance as Sony though. I think I read somewhere that Nikon's Z mount (or whatever it will be called) is only 16mm flange-back distance.

I assume by M-Mount you mean Canon's not Leica M?

Yes I meant EOS-M mount. I'm not sure it'd be a good idea sticking with EOS-M especially with Nikon going with a large diameter mount. Sony's done well with their sensor tech to remedy many of the problems they've had with the E mount, but they were also forced to go with tele-centric lens designs.

It is quite noteworthy how Nikon has finally moved on from F mount for their MILC. (They chose the path of legacy compatibility during the AF revolution of the 1980s and took a hit for that. I guess they won't be repeating that move this time around.)
If Canon stuck with their existing reflex mount for their new MILC they would now be the only ones to do so. I'm sure it would please those who have lots of EF lenses. For my part, I think it would be foolhardy to forge ahead into the 2020s with one foot still stuck in the film era. (Some folks may gag at the prospect but AFAIC a good OEM adapter could ease the transition for many.)
I guess we'll find out, soon enough!

Part of me thinks they might very well stay with the EF mount, remove the mirror and go full steam with their Dual Pixel AF system. The EF mount has certain advantages over the F mount as being fully electronic from the beginning and it's large spread use for their cinema cameras. The EF mount already allows fast aperture f/1.2 lenses and as seen with the Metabones and Sigma EF adapters, the lenses work quite well when used on a mirrorless body.

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Here's specs from Nikon Rumours

ors.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F08%2FNikon-D850-vs-Nikon-Z6-vs-Nikon-Z7-specs-comparison.png

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Nothing on the specs blows the A7-III out of the water. Yeah, you can use Nikon lenses. Price is the question.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Only 3 native lenses at launch is a bit underwhelming. Sony came up with 5 and was widely panned for "not enough lenses" for at least the first two years. I'm sure those standards won't apply when it's Nikon however. :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Only 3 native lenses at launch is a bit underwhelming. Sony came up with 5 and was widely panned for "not enough lenses" for at least the first two years. I'm sure those standards won't apply when it's Nikon however. :rolleyes:

Yep, that FTZ adapter better be amazing or else...

Only "plus" for the Z6 Vs. A7-3 that I see is the better EVF (same one as A7R-3 and A9)

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
To me the Z cameras are a win. If the FT-2 F-mount adapter delivers on solid AF performance, I don't see the need for much native Z glass. Just adapting the Nikon 1.8 G primes and f4 zooms, you'll have a killer kit right out the door.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
JonathanF2, make sure you give us a chance to purchase your A7iii before putting it up on ebay or fredmiranda, okay? For old times sake, or something. Thanks! :drinks: :D

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
JonathanF2, make sure you give us a chance to purchase your A7iii before putting it up on ebay or fredmiranda, okay? For old times sake, or something. Thanks! :drinks: :D

I'll probably keep the A7III since I do have Nikon F adapters for it and I also still need it for the Techart Pro for my M glass! :D I most likely will downsize my native E mount lenses to make room. ;)

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yep, that FTZ adapter better be amazing or else...

Only "plus" for the Z6 Vs. A7-3 that I see is the better EVF (same one as A7R-3 and A9)
What's really interesting is the deja vu of seeing Nikon users repeat all the marketing talking points we used to use when Sony released the A7. :cool:

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I think they're going to have the same complaints too. And I notice nobodies talking about price.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
$2k for the Z6 and $3,4 for the Z7...
It doesn't have dual card slots :eek-30:
No eye AF either?
And same battery (big) as in D750/850 but rated only at 450 shots?

For me, Nikon release is not a fail. I don't think the bet is to gain new mirrorless shooters but at least keep its client base. It would definitely prevent some Nikon DSLR users switch to Sony.

Last edited:

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yes, Nick, what I'm thinking is these cameras look like the A7rII and A7II but slightly better (and much much bigger). The catch is that those are 4-year-old cameras for Sony and expectations have moved up (largely thanks to the mkIIIs) for 2018.

Latest posts

Top Bottom