It's Here! - Sort of

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by olli, Aug 24, 2011.

1. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    DPReview have lots of information on today's new launches from Sony. The A77 and A65 both get extensive previews, but the NEX-7 only gets a news story. It turns out that despite this morning's launch no one from the media anywhere in the world, according to DPR, has received an actual production level NEX-7. Their story was based on time spent with a pre-production unit and interviews with Sony. Crucially the pre-production camera did not have the NEX-7 software loaded so the software controlled functions specific to the NEX-7 were not functioning.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that finds this somewhat strange. The NEX-7 was already going to have to shout to be heard above the clamour surrounding the A77 - production versions of which have been with the press for the last week - how much more so now when media and reviewers don't even have the camera in hand?

It sounds like Sony were not really ready to launch the NEX-7 but decided to go ahead and try to piggy back on the media interest in the A77. It seems to me that it would have been better to hold off and give the NEX-7 and the E-mount lenses and accessories a separate launch when it was really ready to go. I also can't help thinking that Sony must have originally planned to launch the NEX-7 with the promised 'G' standard zoom that is part of the lens roadmap and scheduled for 2012. Right now the NEX-7 is being offered body only or with the current 18-55 kit lens. I have argued that this is decent enough as a kit lens but it is not good enough to match this camera and sensor combination. Inthe same way that Sony introduced a new high-spec kit lens for the A77 it would have made sense to do the same for the NEX-7 (though the standard A-mount 18-55 is being offered with the A65)

My current conclusion is that interesting as the camera looks on paper Sony have priced me out of the market - $1200 for the body alone is way beyond me and only a little less than the asking price for the A77. Add in the $1000 Zeiss 24 - the only lens at the moment that will do justice to those 24 MPs - and that's $2200. It will be interesting to see what price the promised 'G' standard zoom comes in at when it appears next year.

2. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Liverpool
    Olli
    You say " Right now the NEX-7 is being offered body only or with the current 18-55 kit lens."

Well that answers a question I asked yesterday on an other thread; to encourage NEX owners to upgrade to what I must say 'looks' a bit of a monster with super spec: the option of Body only; is sensible as is done with most DSLR's otherwise they'd be a dearth of Kit lenes either lying around or for sale.
    I noticed that it does have the articulated LCD as well as the viewfinder.
    Regarding the rather strange marketing strategy that has been adopted by Sony for the NEX 7 seems to me to be get everybody's 'juices' flowing as they wait for the actual camera to become available...similar to the X100?

3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I've pre-ordered a NEX-7 even though I'm not sure I'm ready to pay $1200 for a body-only camera. But, I have till November to decided. This seems like an amazing camera, but I'm with you, Olli, it seems strange that Sony didn't give a working version out to anyone before release. We have the announcement, but other than that, we still don't know much more today about this camera than we did yesterday.

4. Melv

Melv TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Rotherham, U.K.
    Distortion correction

I am sure I have seen somewhere on at least one website mention of distortion compensation etc but am darned if I can find it now; does the NEX-7 have inbuilt software that corrects for such distortions and abberations? This would be invaluable on the wider angle 3rd party lenses which tend to suffer from the dreaded 'red shift'.

5. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    It does. You'll find a summary under 'Lens Correction' in the Imaging Resources preview.

6. Melv

Melv TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Rotherham, U.K.
    cheers Olli!