It's been a good (or bad?) month for adapted lenses!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mingus2112, Dec 17, 2017.

1. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 16, 2014
    Anyone else buy lenses in spurts of compulsion? You go down a rabbit hole of researching one lens you want to buy and you read about another one that you add to your list? Maybe you can't decide between three 500mm mirror lenses, so you buy all three? Maybe you want a teleconverter and end up with two?

My GAS has gotten the best of me over the past 30 days. Started with a Minolta Rokkor 500mm/f8 (manual focus) (along with a Maxxum 9000 for the hell of it), then went to a Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter, then a Minolta Maxxum 24mm 2.8 (came with a 50mm 1.7 as well), then a Tamron 103A 80-210 with a 01F 2x Flat Field Teleconverter, then a Tamron 55BB (also with an 01F Teleconverter), then a Tamron 01A SP 35-80mm, then a Tamron 52B 90mm F2.5 with lens hood and 1:1 tube, and finally a mint in box Minolta Maxxum 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO D. I'm cringing as I add this all up. I could have easily purchased the Sony 16-70mm that i've been after and still had money to spare. There's just something so easy about spending $50 here, $70 there instead of a large sum up front. Not to mention finding the perfect auction and not knowing when you'll see it again.

So now i'm faced with when the heck to get outside and play with these? It's in the 20s around here, so it's not really photography weather for me. The closest I got was 15 minutes outside with the a6000 and 18-55 kit lens when I ran down the street with my kid to do Christmas card pictures - while it was snowing! Included pic just so there's a pic in this thread - even though it's a native lens!

DSC05987.
    With all my friends spending a ton on "professional" photo shoots for their holiday cards, it was nice to run outside in an active snowstorm and grab a satisfactory shot!

Happy Holidays everyone!
    -James

• Like Like x 11
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Happy Holidays James!
    Lucky for me my GAS is held firmly in check by my very limited budget which is totally self-imposed as my wife has never complained about any of the camera stuff I've purchased. I think it's balanced by her sewing budget which I've never complained about either. One of her computer driven sewing machines is still thousands more than all my camera stuff combined.
    As for lenses I've bought recently, I've tried to limit my GAS to older Nikons. If I run across a good deal on a Minolta which I've read about and know to be a good one, I might go for it. Same goes for RF Canons. Right now, I'm trying to make use of all the old lenses I have. I'm getting better at it, but it's work to get me to take a good performer off my camera. I guess you could say I'm lazy that way.
    I spent today indoors as it was windy, again. When I did go out I could smell the smoke from all the fires we've been having around here in So Cal. So no shooting for me. Sure glad I got out yesterday and shot some cars.
    DSC01976-1 (Large).

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    I know what you mean! That's a great shot, too!

All of my vintage glass has been Minolta (SR Mount - MC/MD or AF/Maxxum lenses) or Minolta Mount (Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc.). At first because I owned those film cameras and lenses and then just out of habit. It also seems like a "classic" minolta lenses are more of a bargain than other classics...so i've just stuck on that. One day i'll get a few others....

-James

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    When you can create an image like that, it becomes priceless!
    Don't worry, you're not alone. GAS and LBA is as common as STDs! :D 
    Just go to my flickr page and click on my legacy lens collection link. And you'll feel relieved. haha!
    Mirror lens mania: (2) Tamron 55BB, one w/ O1F, Sigma 600mm, Yashica Reflex 500mm, Tokina RMC 500, (2) ZM-5A MC 500mm, Meade 1000mm, and LBA stopped at a Rubinar 1000mm.
    (3) Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverters.
    I have the 103A too, but found it sub par on my a6000. The Tamron SP 52BB is outstanding, so you'll love your 52B, and it mates to the 01F as well.
    The 01A SP 35-80mm is superb and deserves the rep of "the zoom that thinks it's a prime" It's best of class.

Overall, you picked up some fine lenses. That 100-300 APO was on my wish list back in the day of shooting my Maxxum 5000. The Minolta 500 Reflex will be neck and neck with the Tamron 55BB as they share the same mirror design. If you went the alternate route, you'd have one red/orange box and one zoom lens. Now it feels like Christmas. :) 
    Don't forget, you can return them to the ebay universe anytime, and likely get what you paid for them. The Tamron SP gear hold their value pretty well in this used market.

BTW, I plan to sell off my surplus mirrors as I found my one and only. The Rubinar. Will keep a Tamron 55BB and a ZM-5A as back up concubine roles. :D 

5. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Perhaps for another thread, but i've been keeping my eye out for a Rubinar like yours. I liked the Rokkor 500mm's rendering, but I feel like i'll have an easier time focusing the Tamron. Focus ring on it turns nearly the whole way around while the Minolta only goes about 180 degrees! I also have my thoughts set on a vintage celestron c90....it's an obsession, really....but you know all about that!

An A7rII would be a nice addition to these with IBIS.....

-James

6. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    And I almost never throw back to the ebay pond. The hoarder in me believes he's a "collector." LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    That's one of the reasons why I like the Tamron 55BB. The focus throw is necessary for a mirror. If you keep the Tamron and the other Adaptall-2 models you have, I recommend the Fotasy Adaptall-2 to E-mount adapter. It mounts snugly and its cylindrical barrel allows you to use an aftermarket Canon 70-200 f/4 tripod collar with it. All you need is to slip one of those silicone wrist bands like the old Livestrong ones onto the adapter. The resulting diameter is a perfect match.
    Since the 55BB didn't have a factory tripod mount....and adding the 01F will make any of those lenses long and heavy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Wow - I didn't even realize there was a Adaptall-2 to E Mount adapter. Here I am buying extra Adaptall-2 to Minolta MD adapters! The adapters fit quite snug to the lens - is this the case with the Fotasy? Seems like it would make quick lens changes a little tough...

-James

9. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    You guys are lucky, you've been finding the lenses only it sounds like. The last two I bought both came with cameras. I was fortunate enough to sell them off to help offset the cost of the lenses though so I didn't get hurt too badly. Now if I can just keep from 'collecting' more than one example of each of them I'll be doing OK.
    Do you guys ever feel like you just have to 'rescue' a lens you already have one of?

• Like Like x 1
  10. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    I was guilty of that in the past - in my early collecting of Minolta lenses. Once mirrorless came along, and prices started going up, I only had to "rescue" a lens I already had if it was a particularly good price or if the copy I had wasn't perfect. I used to buy Minolta SRT-101 lots that had plenty of lenses in it. I think I have 3 or 4 different 135mm Rokkors - but they're all actually different, I guess. 50mm, 58mm. Sold off most of the SRT-101s (I still have my original one and one that was gifted to me by a family friend), but I still have all the lenses. Any duplicates these days are when I win an auction that had multiple lenses. (That's why I now have two Adaptall-2 2x teleconverters!)

I now have to come up with a better solution for storage!!

-James

11. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    That's interesting, the camera I really fell in love with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when was an SR-T 102. I finally got one, about 30 yrs ago, that had a 58 1.4 on it. The camera was well used but I got it for a really good price, even for the '80's. I've had to restrain myself lately to keep from buying a more pristine 58 to replace mine. It works fine but is a little loose in the focusing and is probably drier than a desert as it isn't damped at all. The glass is perfect though. All the replacement 'candidates' have been attached to cameras though, so I haven't jumped on any of them. Maybe some day...

12. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    The 58mm 1.4 is so overlooked! I've got two of them. Neither one "pristine" but both in decent condition! The 102 is one of the two film cameras still on my list. For manual focus minolta, I've got two 101s, a 201, XE-7, XD-11 and an x700. One day i'll add an SR-T 102 (with mirror lockup) and an x570!

-James

13. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The Adaptall2 to E-mount adapter is less fiddly and much easier to swap because you arent' dealing with assuring the alignment of the necessary linkages for the auto aperture features of each brand's lenses. I started as well with different brand-to-E-mount adapters, and picking up Tamrons of differing Adaptall2 mounts. And picked up a few for Minolta, Olympus OM, etc. Then got a 55BB and needed a tripod mount for lunar shots. I discovered the Fotasy adapter and it's so much better than buying extra Adaptall2 mounts.
    I've found it more convenient to keep a Fotasy adapter on the Tamrons I select to take for an outing, and add an E-mount lens cap on them and treat them as dedicated E-mount lenses. This is simply another option.

14. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Sometimes, I come across another so stupidly cheap, it's like not picking up a $20 bill on the ground. So, yes, I gave it a good home....I must have been a 'cat lady' in a previous life! :D 
    Other times, I pick up a second one to compare for model variances and/or wear. Keep the better copy, or acquire a few missing items from the initial purchase.

15. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    That Minolta 58-f/1.4 is a GREAT lens. Very fortunate to find a cheap one with pristine glass and body, but it's also drying out from old age. Good thing is that it looks straight forward to service. Will regrease it some day.
    Steve, once the helicoid is cleaned and regreased, the viscosity will take up the looseness in the focus ring. If the looseness is slippage, then it's likely a loose set screw or two.

16. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    My 58 has a lot of backlash when you focus it. I don't think anything is slipping. It's probably just drier than all get out since it's been sitting around for so long.
    I was going to PM James and offer to trade my 102 for one of his 101's, but I just checked and I have a 101 not a 102! DOH!
    Good thing I checked first.
    Old age, gotta love it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    You guys woulda been so proud of me last night. I found a lens that is very good for portraits on an auction site. Really wanted to bid on it, but thought it would go for a lot more than I was willing to spend, so I didn't bid.

Kind of wish I had as it didn't go for as much as I thought it would.

• Like Like x 3
  18. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Don't know yet if I'm going to be proud of you, need a lot more detail: what lens was it, how much were you prepared to spend on it, what was the final price, ...

On a more serious note, I sometimes see a lens offered with a low starting price on eBay and even if I suspect it'll turn out to be too expensive, I put in a bid via Auctionsniper, the bid is the highest price I'd pay without feeling ripped off; sometimes the actual price is lower, and more often the price is too high so my bid doesn't win. I don't win often, but when I do, it's a steal for that lens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    OKOKOKOK...it was a Nikkor 85 2.0 and I was prepared to go to $120 and it sold for $113. Plus shipping.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    When I bid on something on eBay I enter my initial bid, but then it also allows me to enter my highest bid. So I just put in whatever my highest price is, and walk away. If I win, great! And if I don't, then the item went for more than I was willing to pay. I've never heard of Auctionsniper, which seems to do the same thing. But don't you guys have the opportunity to enter your highest bid directly on eBay's site? :hmmm:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.