• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

It's all about the glass!

Will Jones

New to TalkEmount
I'm totally unfamiliar with the Sony Nex cameras but intend to learn more. My major question though is going to be, how good are the lenses? I've come to learn from years of photography that cameras come and go but glass (should) last forever. So I hope the compatible lenses stand up to scrutiny. Thoughts?

Knikki

TalkEmount Rookie
From mooching aroound various sites it appears that teh 16mm Sony maybe the weakest of the lens.

I've just got a Nex with the 18-35 lens on it and more than happy with the images coming out of it. Personnaly the lens I am looking forward to is the 50mm f1.8 OSS lens.

olli

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
olli
First of all hello and welcome Will.

As for your question I think the answer is it depends who you ask. I have the 18-55 and find it perfectly acceptable for what it is - a kit lens. I've read plenty of comments from people who feel the same way about the 16mm. Of course, I've also read all those critiques describing the lenses as 'garbage' and 'mediocre'. In the end it comes down to who you choose to believe.

The reviews of the 18-55 at Photozone and Kurt Munger chime with my own experience of this lens so I'm also inclined to take seriously their reviews of the 16 as well (though they reach slightly different conclusions).

Latest threads

Top Bottom