It is nice to have weather sealed body and lens, Hello Blizzard of 2015

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by rkworld, Jan 27, 2015.

1. rkworld

rkworld TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2013
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Agreed, but remember weather sealed does not mean weather proof.
  3. Tapper

Tapper New to TalkEmount

Jul 1, 2012
    Hey guys, I am really confused on this subject.

I want a camera that is safe to use in harsh weather, i.e. can be safely used in some rain or snow and not get damaged. I know the Olympus OMD's (except for the em10) are good at that, but I prefer the IQ I've seen from the Sony A7 series. But I can't seem to find a clear answer about the A7 ability to handle bad weather.

In particular, is the A7mII weather sealed? Is it comparable to the OMD EM5 or Fuji XT-1? And the lenses? I think I've read the FE lenses are all weather sealed?

Any straight answers would be very much appreciated.
  4. Tapper

Tapper New to TalkEmount

Jul 1, 2012
  5. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    yup, you cant trust any camera that says weather resistant...especially the ones that the warranty wont cover for water damage. For that you need and OMD or a high end nikon/canon/pentax
  6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I've used my A7 in light drizzle and snow many times - and there's several videos of the original A7 being dowsed in water after Sony initially claimed it was sealed then withdrew the claim later (probably the lawyers gave them a stern call). Just basically be aware that you are responsible for damages and the battery door is the weak point (a half-case actually really helps here, as it makes it very unlikely you'll expose your battery door to water). But if it starts to rain or snow, don't panic.
  7. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    OM-D E-M5 is a great camera. The rumored weather-sealed A7000 should be a nice light package if it ever becomes reality, but a few months ago I came across a deal on a like-new E-M5 that was too good to skip.

8. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    For what it's worth I took an a7ii and A7s out in minus 30 celcius. Snow. Lots of it. No probs.

I've also had an A7ii out in torrential rain with the 24-70 F4 Zeiss. Again no probs.

Keep in mind I do not deliberately take my equipment out in the elements, but sometimes bad weather just 'happens'. Sony's website said it was weather sealed when it was initially launched, in fact making the improved weather sealing a headline feature for the A7ii (in Europe anyway). I've noticed also that they have taken down that 'feature' now.
    Lensrentals were spot on in mentioning that more seals should have been used. But having said that if plastic tolerances are tight... it's probably not that super important.

I also shoot an EM1 and despite all it's raving reviews, I'd still never deliberately soak any camera that I own in the elements preferring to take care of my equipment. Usually weather sealing (on any camera - Olympus, Pentax etc...) is highly dependent on all seals/plastic perfectly aligned, straight out of the factory condition. Time and continual use naturally weaken seals, plastic cracks etc...

All cameras can be weather sealed with a nice plastic overlay - pretty cheaply too :D

Just my 0.02.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. rkworld

rkworld TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2013
    my a7 has been in rain and heavy snow so far with no issues
  10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Good to know. What lenses?
  11. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
  12. scrowley91

scrowley91 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    New Jersey
    Sean Crowley
    I got hit by a firehose in 6 degree weather while carrying my a7s... and it kept going. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but even the non-sealed cameras are better than many expect them to be.
    • Informative Informative x 1