It has been fun chatting with you folks

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TonyTurley, Aug 15, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    . . . because when my wife finds out I bought another lens, I'm a goner! I found a mint Minolta MC Tele Rokkor HF 30cm f/4.5 on Etsy for $95. :) I have been looking for a 300mm to 400mm prime, and I just can't pay the premium for something like Danny's great Canon lenses. The two Rokkor lenses I have are quality, and despite my fondness for Vivitars, I haven't read a single good thing about their "longer" lenses beyond 200mm (although I very much like my Vivitar 200mm f/3.5). When I stumbled across this minty lens for much less than other 300mm Rokkors I've seen, I was torn. Do I really need another lens? Had it cost much more than this, I would have passed on it, but this seemed to be a really good deal. I really don't intend to buy any more legacy lenses after this one; I have the range from 19mm to 300mm covered, and I've been fortunate to find some good deals along the way. I know I'll have to use a monopod or tripod with the 300, but I look forward to trying some more moon and wildlife shots. Follow the links to see photos of the actual lens I bought. I'm stoked!

Tony

<A href="https://img1.etsystatic.com/022/0/7733784/il_570xN.473361755_h841.jpg">Link1</A>

<A href="https://img0.etsystatic.com/022/0/7733784/il_570xN.473336938_f73k.jpg">Link2</A>

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Take it from me, the trick is to never let her see more than one long lens at a time. She: "Is that a new lens?" Me: "Nope, I've had this one since like, forever."

And yes, I'm going to Hell someday for lying, but that'll be better than than facing the wrath of She. I've seen what She is capable of and I never want to have it directed to me. Cowardice? Perhaps. I prefer to think of it as self-preservation. Besides, it's been working for 37+ years, why mess with success?

Congrats on the new lens. ;)

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Jim. Unfortunately, she often sees the incoming packages before I do, at which point I'll get a call saying "You got a package", accompanied by a sigh . . . to which I say "Reaaalllly?". Whatever it takes, eh? :)

4. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Anxious to see what this lens can do. To bad I'll be in internetless land for a week. I'll be checking when I get back.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Buying lenses is expensive so I always ask my wife. She always says yes.

Of course the next day she will come home with a new pair of shoes.

The wife tax needs to be factored into every lens purchase I make.

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Come on tony, do the same trick that Colin uses, I do the same and my wife is happy too as I test the lenses, she does with shoes thought I was the only one.
    I have the Soligor 300mm f3.5 is a very large and heavy lens but offers a good Bukeh soft and very sharp.
    DSC01746.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice knowing you.:p

8. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Good on you Tony and that looks in great condition mate. Nice lens by the looks.

Mine are all relative. I couldn't afford the new AF versions of what I use, well I could but I would be in real trouble with Jan, LOL. It took me ......... 43 years to be able to get just the MF versions, first came the mortgage, kid, cars, etc and only now can I spend a little on what I want ;) They cost around a 1/6th of the new versions, not bad mate. I certainly wouldn't pay what they are going for now on Ebay. That's gone crazy with prices IMO.

All the best Tony and great to see, very pleased for you. Should be fun times ahead :)

Danny.

9. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Actually for your eyes only Tony, shhhh don't let the others know on here mate ;)

This guy here I've had a 300 F/2.8, 500 F/4.5 and 800 F/5.6 off. This guy I would recommend and worth keeping an eye on. What he says, is exactly what you get, no mucking around and excellent service. Average cost, but the guy knows that only the best will sell.....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&_ssn=matsuiyastore&_sop=3

All the best Tony and don't tell anyone ;)

Danny.

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I probably won't have it before the middle of next week. I'm looking forward to it, too.

LOL!! Mine just took a couple of days last week to go shopping with a car load of sisters. :)

Must be something about lenses and shoes.

lol :)

Thanks Danny . . . I think. Those are some serious tele lenses. Also, I wonder if my wife would notice if one of those Summicrons sneaked into the house? :)

Tony

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats Tony ;)

I too follow the same strategy as Colin and Freddy...instead in my wife's case its bags. Seriously how many bags can a person own???

LOL :D

Looking forward for some photos ;)

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You call yourself a photographer and you ask this question? lol!

13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    :dance3:

14. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    So far I've been buying manual lenses since they're so cheap, so no complaints yet from the wife :)

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Just don't ever let her see all of them at the same time and you're golden. ;)

16. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Ummmm . . . what Jim said! I guess I'm at about a dozen legacy lenses now, after selling 4 on The-Auction-Site-That-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Tony