1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

It has arrived...Oly PEN F 38mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nubster, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Not sure about this thing. First of all, it's tiny. Like so tiny I wan't sure if I was ripped off and given a toy lens rather than a real lens. Got it attached to my camera and it does look a little goofy with the adapter being way bigger in diameter than the lens. The lens also seems a little loose. Not on the adapter, but the barrel has a little play. Is this normal for this lens? Otherwise, it seems ok. Maybe I was expecting something more robust like my ROKKOR 50mm f/1.4 which is a tank of a lens and I prefer that honestly. Anyways, fired off a few shots in my poorly lit house and this is one shot that came out of it...

Feb2013-1_zps8bf73ced.

Attached Files:

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Well Chad, this image alone is enough to justify the purchase, ain't it ?
    Mine has a *tiny* bit of play with the adapter, not in the lens itself. Both adapter and lens are solid but the connection between them is not 100% firm. I don't worry about it. The character it delivers is unique. It's like it has PP already built in !
    You'll get used to the size, which is actually an asset more than a hindrance.
    Shoot it for a day and report back, I'd be surprised you're not smitten by then.

3. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Yeah, I think I just had the idea in my head that it was going to be a big heavy metal lens like my 50mm...just caught me off guard...lol

I'll give this lens and the 50mil a workout tonight at the local cafe...they are having an open mic night so I hope I can grab some good shots.

But I agree...it does produce some nice images.

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    It's not a real tattoo on your son, is it ??

5. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I've had several Pen-F lenses over the years. The play on the barrel isn't unusual given the age of the lens. The 38 is sharp (even sharp wide open) small and peaks well. That said, the small lens is not for everyone. I myself like the way larger lenses feel in hand (the Rokkor 50/1.4 being one of my favorites) but in that FL the Pen 38/1.8 and Konica 40/1.8 are your most affordable options for something faster than 2.8. I think after you use it some more you will find the Pen 38 is a highly capable lens. One if the few lenses I regret selling so I went out and bought another one.

If that image is indicative of the results it will give you then I should think you'll be pleased.

6. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    haha...no...he's just being like dad.

7. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Another shot...this time my daughter being goofy laying on the kitchen counter...

Feb2013-1_zps09f5db19.

Attached Files:

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Chad, that photo of your boy (who is adorable btw ;) ) is really nice :thumbup:
    Congrats on the purchase ;)

Was that shot taken wide open? Only thing I don't like is the bokeh shape - I guess every lens produces a different one and I myself find the MD 50s bokeh shape really "smooth/soft" which I prefer

+1

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    You have a fake tattoo? :biggrin:

BTW, both of those shots are terrific.

10. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Yeah, fake ones allow for me to change out my sleeve to better match my outfit.

11. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Thanks and yes it was. Now that you mention it, the bokeh is kinda...different.

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yeah, it's rather busy but that almost looks like an artifact from sharpening the way it seems to track the edges. I'll have to pull my 38 out and see if it does that.

13. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I don't think you have any worries about that lens. Those 2 pics should reassure you. Especially the last one. Very nice.

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Am I the only real ballsy gal with a genuine tat here ;) ?

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There are so many ways to interpret that question… :p

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You may find the background itself either lends itself to nice bokeh or it doesn't. My Tamron 28-75 most of the time has pretty good bokeh for a zoom, but there are times that the bokeh it produces just feels like it's trying to suck your eyeballs out of your head. Fortunately that only happens about 5% of the time. ;)

17. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I'd say you're off to a great start! That lens is definitely not a toy. More of a jewel.

18. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    and so many different answers

19. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Whaaa...??? I'm not sure how to respond to that...uh...yes?

20. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad

Attached Files: