Issues with my lens mount?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DuffKitz, Jan 18, 2016.

1. DuffKitz

DuffKitz New to TalkEmount

Jan 18, 2016
    Dk
    About a month ago I bought a new sony a7ii. A couple weeks ago I also bought a Sony fe 70-200mm f4 g OSS lens, I've been very careful to always support both the camera body and lens whenever I hold it as the lens is heavy. However, today while using that lens noticed a very slight wiggle between the camera body and lens. Hardly noticeable but can feel it, I'm worried about the strength and integrity of that connection being compromised - any insight or suggestions?

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I don't have that lens, but I know the Sony camera lens opening become larger from nex6 to A7R and then got tighter with A7R II. I even exchanged the first A7r as the first gen contax g adapter was too loose and was short-circuiting, then I upgraded the adapter which cured the problem... Nex lenses had similar wiggle with A7R. I think A7 II was similar to A7R when I used with my lenses/adapters. Now I got the A7R II it got tighter and one of the mf adapter that I used with A7R/A7 II was not fitting. Sb with that lens can confirm it for you but I think that wiggle might be normal based on my experience... You can also check the sharpness at the corners/edges of the lens to compare if there is any issue...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DuffKitz

DuffKitz New to TalkEmount

Jan 18, 2016
    Dk
    Right on, thanks for the response!

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't think it would cause a problem if it just little but doesn't hurt to have a camera repair shop take a look at it...

My Nex-6/18-105G combo, had a serious jiggle that I believe it was what caused the camera not to communicate with the lens (and the lens to act very strangely, no AF etc)

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I no longer own that that lens, so I can't test my A7II, but I agree with Nick. A little wiggle is normal. And if it's not something you noticed right away, then I bet that it's just the normal amount of wiggle.

6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    ive been meaning to rant about a few things here and there but keep forgetting. one of them is this issue. only mine applies to the nex5r and any AF lens i attach. the wiggle turns into contacts not making good contact and the lens 'resetting' constantly AF missing or failing altogether, to the point where i have to manually jiggle it back into place. however, i've not noticed this problem at all with my a7ii infact it's extra tight in comparison to my NEX

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Exactly what happened with my Nex-6/18-105 combo!!! My tech guy said it was possibly due to the fact that I have been using these MF legacy lenses too much lol :p and suggested a Fotodiox "tough" e-mount addition :)
    A7 with 28-70 wiggles but just slightly (to the point of no issues with contacts) but the after the A7, this issue is said to have been addressed with a tighter mount

8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    did you end up trying the Tough e-mount from Fotodiox ? I'm interestd if it cured your problem. i'll give it a shot if it means i dont' have to fumble with my nice AF glass when i want to take a shot.

9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Unfortunately no. I sold the Nex-6 before trying the "Tough e-mount" :(

10. Reciprocity Failure

Reciprocity Failure TalkEmount Regular

Dec 25, 2015
    Bryan
    FWIW, I have the Tough E-Mount and although my Fotodiox adapters fit like the proverbial glove on it, my one adapter from Amedeo won't even mount on it at all. Unfortunately, too, since I really liked the idea of bolstering the hybrid metal and plastic Sony mount with one that is all metal.

11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    and do you have it installed on a7 series camera or NEX?

12. Reciprocity Failure

Reciprocity Failure TalkEmount Regular

Dec 25, 2015
    Bryan
    On an NEX. Well, actually, A6000.